Almost all USNA departments offer research or independent study opportunities for midshipmen. These can include independent research, capstone, design, or independent study courses.
Below are some examples of midshipman research projects:
- Investigating Flapping Foil Propulsion in Kayaks
- Synthesis and Evaluation of Compounds with Potential for Treating Malaria
- Hydrolysis of Cellulose Utilizing Ionic Liquid Based Technology
- Feasibility Study for a Hydrofoil Retrofit of a Catamaran
- Isolation and Characterization of Endotoxin in Psychrophiles
- Indirect Selective Laser Sintering of Graphite Bipolar Plates for Direct Methane Fuel Cells
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Projects
- Midshipmen Hurricane Chasers
Some midshipman research accomplishments:
- Midshipmen win awards at American Nuclear Society (ANS) Student Conference
- Oceanography students conduct research in the Arctic
- Jeremy Mandia ('09) - co-author of a Patent
- ENS Anthony Testino ('12)
- Competition Results 2012
Many other areas for research projects exist. Review a department's webpages or faculty research pages for more examples of projects.
USNA is an institutional member of CUR (Council on Undergraduate Research).