Academic Dean and Provost Notice
3 Jan 14
ACADEMIC DEAN AND PROVOST NOTICE 1531
From: Academic Dean and Provost
Subj: ACADEMIC ADVISING, PREREGISTRATION AND REGISTRATION - SPRING
Ref: (a) ACDEANINST 1531.59
1. Purpose. This notice announces the schedule of academic advising, preregistration, and registration and describes the responsibilities of the participants during the spring semester of the academic year 2013–2014. The guidance for previous and following years is similar; specific (e.g., date) changes are highlighted in red.
2. Background. The schedule for preregistration, and registration during the fall semester is as follows. Academic counseling (typically between the midshipman and his/her assigned academic adviser) must precede all academic planning decisions or changes.
|Class||Activity & Dates|
|Preregistration: 28 Jan 2014 - 31 Jan 2014
Registration: 14 Apr 2014 - 25 Apr 2014
|Preregistration: 29 Jan 2014 - 31 Jan 2014
Registration: 17 Apr 2014 - 25 Apr 2014
|Majors Declaration: 3 Mar 2014 - 6 Mar 2014
Preregistration: 18 Mar 2014 - 21 Mar 2014
Registration: 22 Apr 2014 - 25 Apr 2014
Details concerning the registration process will be promulgated by the Registrar.
3. Action. Responsibilities for preregistration and counseling are as follows:
a. Department Chairs
- plan advising sessions for majors, as appropriate
- remind and mentor faculty about their advising responsibilities
b. Advisers - Majors
- be knowledgeable about major programs
- be knowledgeable about special academic programs and opportunities
- counsel advisees and monitor their progress
- verify that advisees have prerequisites for all courses
- in the case of new Class of 2017 advisees, take care that these midshipmen have made a choice of major that is consistent with their interests and abilities
- meet with advisees before the preregistration period
- counsel advisees to take majors and non-majors courses as prescribed by their matrices unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise
- verify that advisees have preregistered properly after the preregistration period
- verify that advisees have registered properly after the registration period
- ensure that their advisees do not fall behind their matrix requirements
c. Advisers - Plebes
- monitor academic progress of advisees
- counsel plebes about majors programs and learning strategies
- seek academic counsel from their advisers at any time
- attend special advising sessions, if any, scheduled for their majors
- consult with academic advisers PRIOR to preregistration
- be familiar with general academic requirements, course prerequisites, and specific requirements for their majors
- select major (4/C midshipmen) via MIDS' "Major - Declare" module within the "Midshipmen" menu
- preregister via MIDS' "Courses - Preregister" module within the "Midshipmen" menu
- register via MIDS' "Courses - Register" module within the "Midshipmen" menu
- take care to preregister for at least 15 credits, unless excused by the Academic Board
e. Majors Selection, Preregistration and Registration - Additional Information
- Majors selection and preregistration will open on MIDS at 0700 on the first day scheduled for majors selection or preregistration; registration will open at 1000 on the first day scheduled for registration.
- The deadline for majors selection, preregistration, and registration is 1800 on the last scheduled day for that action.
- While the dates for preregistration indicate the times at which MIDS may be used for preregistration purposes, midshipmen are very strongly encouraged to visit with their advisers in advance of these dates.
- Failure to preregister on time will result in a loss of registration privileges and subject midshipmen to conduct penalties
4. Company Officers are requested to bring this notice to the attention of all midshipmen in their companies.
Notes for Midshipmen:
1. Midshipmen are free to meet with their advisers at any time of mutual convenience. They need not wait until the formal preregistration period begins to develop academic plans for the future. The week before the preregistration module is accessible on MIDS may be best for faculty and their midshipmen advisees to meet to plan the next semester.
2. Preregistration is essential to the administration of the academic program. Preregistration data is used to allocate resources and plan for the following semester. It is important to accomplish the preregistration process in a timely manner to meet deadlines. Therefore, any midshipman who has not preregistered on time will be reported to the Deputy Commandant and charged with a failure to properly perform a duty according to Midshipman Regulations. Moreover, midshipmen failing to preregister on time will lose the registration privilege that allows them to request instructors or schedules for the following semester.
JENNIFER K. WATERS