Requesting a Record under FOIA
Minimum Requirements of a FOIA Request
- Your request must be prepared in writing.
- Label your request "Freedom of Information Act Request" on the request, as well as the envelope.
- Describe the specific record(s) you are seeking with sufficient detail so that a knowledgeable official of the activity may locate the record with a reasonable amount of effort. Be specific, include dates, timeframes, and the name(s) of individual(s) who may have knowledge of the subject of your request.
- Include a statement regarding willingness to pay all fees or fees up to a specified amount or request a waiver (the information is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the DON/DoD and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester).
- Include requester's full name, complete U.S. postal service mailing address, phone number, and email (if you wish electronic responsive documentation).
The statutory 20 working day time limit applies upon receipt of a proper "perfected" FOIA request. A "perfected" FOIA request is one that meets all the minimum requirements of a FOIA request, listed above. Once the FOIA Office has determined that your request is perfected, it will then be forwarded to an appropriate command official who will be requested to conduct a search for a responsive record.
All requests not meeting the minimum requirements of a proper FOIA request, listed above, will be returned to the requester for additional information.
Submit Your Request
You may submit your request by one of the following methods:
- U.S. Mail:
Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy
Attention: FOIA Coordinator
121 Blake Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-1300