Voluntary Graduate Education Program
USNA has a long-standing program that permits qualified midshipmen
to accelerate their undergraduate education in order to pursue
a graduate school education in Computer Science during their
senior year at USNA and extending for 6 months following graduation
from USNA. An M.S. in Computer Science is awarded upon completion
of this program. Up to 20 midshipmen per class are selected
for this program.
Johns Hopkins University
- CQPR: 3.2 or higher.
- No failed courses at USNA.
- Military performance and conduct: B or better for 2/C
and 1/C years.
- Must meet all requirements to graduate from USNA on time.
- Must have room in schedule to take graduate school courses
during 1/C year.
- Must be admitted into a graduate school which gives a
Navy subspecialty code.
The Navy pays the tuition equivalent to that at the University
of Maryland. Students are required to pay for books, transportation,
fees, and any excess tuition costs.
Additional Service Obligation:
An additional service obligation is incurred by participating
in VGEP equal to three times the length of the graduate school
program. For Naval Officers, this commitment is served concurrently
with their Naval Academy obligation. For Marine Corps officers,
the obligation is served consecutively with the Naval Academy
obligation. For more information click here.
If you are interested in the VGEP program. Talk with your
academic advisor to plan how to get ahead of your major's
matrix. This is done by validating courses, overloading courses
each semester, or taking summer school courses during your
- Apply at the end of first semester 2/C year
- Results will be announced in the spring of 2/C year.
- Take the GRE in the spring of 2/C year
VGEP Instructions and Notices:
- USNAINST 1560.3C
- USNANOTE 1560
- MIDNREGS 2.65
For further information, please check the