General Writing Resources
This page contains links to sites that are not located at the United States Naval Academy. USNA is not responsible for the content found on these sites. In addition, the content of these sites does not reflect the opinions, standards, policy, or endorsement of the Naval Academy or the United States Government.
Other Universities Writing Centers
These other Writing Centers provide online access to detailed writing advice for writers at all skill levels and at every stage in the writing process:
This site provides hypertext tutorials, PowerPoint presentations, handouts, and even an e-mail newsletter--all to help you unlock your potential as a writer.
Ohio State's Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing (CSTW) provides online tutorials, useful links to other writing resources on the web, and excellent handouts on:
- Developing a Thesis Statement
- Getting Started
- Plagiarism: What it is and How to Avoid It
- Quick Ideas for Introductions and Conclusions
Includes reference guides and excellent tips on:
- How to Read an Assignment
- Moving from Assignment to Topic
- How to Do a Close Reading
- Overview of the Academic Essay: Thesis, Argument, and Counter-Argument
- Essay Structure
- Developing a Thesis
- Beginning the Academic Essay
- Topic Sentences and Signposting
- Transitioning: Beware of Velcro
- How to Write a Comparative Analysis
- Ending the Essay: Conclusions
- Revising the Draft
- Editing the Essay, Part One
- Editing the Essay, Part Two
- Tips on Grammar, Punctuation, and Style
Writing in other disciplines
These web sites feature information on writing in disciplines other than humanities, such as sciences and engineering (lab reports, etc.):
This site contains exercises, slideshows, and templates for students writing in the engineering and science disciplines.
The University of Toronto's site features interactive tutorials and an online writing handbook for engineering communication.
MIT's resources page contains links to a variety of helpful sources for engineering students looking for writing assistance.
This page at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, includes links to many helpful resources, textbooks, and other web sites that deal with engineering communication.
The Colorado State University Writing Center provides a great deal of information for writers in the humanities as well as science and engineering. They also provide an extensive tutorial on project and design notebooks.