Goals and Objectives
GOAL 1: Communicate effectively in a foreign language and interact in a culturally appropriate manner with native speakers of that language.
1. Achieve functional proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
2. Recognize culture-specific perspectives and values embedded in language behavior.
3. Decode, analyze, and interpret authentic texts of different genres.
4. Produce organized coherent discourse in oral and written modes.
GOAL 2: Recognition of cultural values, practices, and heritage of the foreign country or countries studied.
1. Achieve working knowledge of the geography and history of that country.
2. Explain the nature of major social and political structures.
3. Identify important works of literature, art, and music.
4. Describe and explain rituals and customs of daily life.
GOAL 3: Development of disposition and cognitive strategies for life-long learning of other languages and cultures.
1. Recognize the nature of cultural identity, cross-cultural difference comparison, contrast
home and cultures.
2. Acquire flexibility and openness of mind in negotiating cultural differences.
3. Develop insight into the nature of language itself, the process of language and