Two midshipmen hard at work during study hours in the rather "Spartan" conditions of their living quarters, 1897. Long hours of study remain a mainstay of midshipman life. [#4377; 219K]
This postcard from the early 1900s shows how Bancroft Hall appeared prior to construction of additional wings to accommodate the ever increasing size of the Brigade of Midshipmen. [#5478; 47.9K]
This is a view of the rear entrance to Bancroft Hall as it appeared in the winter of 1910. The midshipmen in the foreground are looking out on what at the time were tennis courts, now the area which King Hall occupies. [#5480; 48.9K]
Midshipmen model full dress uniforms, 29 August 1939. From left to right: Full Dress, A; Full Dress, C; Full Dress, D; Full Dress, E.
Room inspection is a constant part of a midshipman's life as shown in this photograph from 1940. [#4540; 219K]
Construction of Bancroft Hall, and room improvements over the years, have created conditions much more conducive to study, as this 1943 scene depicts. [#4555; 219K]
First Cadet-Midshipman Exchange Weekend, April 1946. Midshipman Stansfield Turner, '47, Captain of the Brigade of Midshipmen (center) leading West Point Cadets on tour of the Academy. [#4603; 219K]
First Cadet-Midshipman Exchange Weekend. April 1946. Army and Navy with "Hop" hostess. Left to right: Cadet George W. Griffith; Mrs. George Hoffman, wife of Commander Hoffman, '34, and Midshipman Ralph E. Moon, Deputy Brigade Commander. [#4613; 226K]
First Cadet-Midshipman Exchange Weekend, April 1946. Formal evening in Dahlgren Hall, USNA. Left to right: Midshipman Edward P. Appert, '47; Lou Ann Armsby; Jacqueline Northrup and Cadet Richard Stone.
Midshipmen and Cadets exit Sunday morning Naval Academy Chapel services in 1947. The present and third Chapel of the United States Naval Academy is often referred to as the CATHEDRAL OF THE NAVY, and is one of the most imposing buildings on the Yard. Originally designed by the architect Ernest Flagg, the cornerstone was laid in 1904 by Admiral George Dewey. [no number; 219K]
Cadet-Midshipman Exchange Weekend Underway. Over a friendly cup of coffee, two West Pointers compare points of view with their Midshipman host. Eighty Cadets travelled to Annapolis to follow the routine of classes, drills, and liberty with their Midshipmen counterparts, and at the same time, an equal number of Midshipmen visited West Point. Left to right: Cadet Charles Sunder, Oakford, Jeannette, Pa.; Midshipman Charles G. Strahley, Brigade Sub Commander, Drexel Hill, Pa.; and Cadet Richard Stein, N.Y. City. [#4624; 225K]
Midshipman 2/C Kendall D. Moll, USNA, Cadet 2/C Kenneth L. Moll, USMA. The Moll brothers graduated from their respective academies in 1950. Kendall went on to earn an M.A. (1952) and Ph.D. (1968) from Stanford University. COL Kenneth Moll retired from military service in 1975 after a distinguished career. [no number; 219K]
In honor of the sesquicentennial of the founding of the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., the Brigade of Midshipmen presented a bronze plaque to the Corps of Cadets at West Point. Midshipman Robert P. McDonald congratulates Cadet Gordon Carpenter. [#5092; 263K]
Midshipmen march past the statue of "Tecumseh" in the fall of 1952. The figurehead, mounted in front of the terrace of Bancroft Hall, between the parallel sidewalks of Stribling Walk, has for many years played a prominent part in the traditions of the Naval Academy as the "God of 2.5" (after 1963, God of the C ). Generations of midshipmen marching to and from their recitations and examinations have saluted "Tecumseh," and prayed to him for aid in their coming ordeals. [#4632; 242K]
Two companies of the new Plebe Class are inspected by their officers on a terrace of Bancroft Hall in July, 1953. [#4633; 242K]
The "haircut," an integral part of Induction Day tradition, is shown here as a new midshipman of the Class of 1962 is introduced to the Academy.
Incoming Plebes are shown here taking their Oath of Office during swearing in ceremonies in June 1965. [#4643; 242K]
This image from I-Day 1972 will remind all those who have experienced being outfitted with their first uniforms of the changes their bodies underwent during their Academy experience. [#4658; 242K]
The first year that women attended the Naval Academy was 1976. The Plebes are still partially clothed in civilian attire before making the full transition to military life which was just beginning for them. [#4715; 242K]
The Class of 1980, shown here at their swearing in ceremony in 1976, prepares to launch the Naval Academy into a new era of exciting challenges. [#4720; 242K]
The Herndon Monument climb marks the culmination of Plebe year and promotion from the status of lowly Plebe to Youngster. The firing of cannons signal the race to climb the 21-foot obelisk which has been coated with 200 pounds of lard. It requires teamwork and perseverance for the Plebes to raise one of their classmates to the top of the monument to retrieve a Plebe "Dixie cup" hat and replace it with an upperclassman's hat. The first recorded time was 3 minutes in 1962. The fastest time was 1 minute and 30 seconds in 1969. The longest time to date was the 3 hours, 1 minute, and 23 seconds recorded in 1985. The time in 1980, the year of this photograph, was 2 hours, 43 minutes. [#3808; 219K]
Female midshipmen shown here are studying in their room in Bancroft Hall, preparing for the academic challenges of Academy course work. In a matter of weeks they would take part in ceremonies marking the first class of women to graduate from the Naval Academy in 1980. [#4759; 242K]
The "hat toss," now a traditional ending to graduation and commissioning ceremonies at all of the service academies, originated at the Naval Academy in 1912. Before 1912, Naval Academy graduates were required to serve two years in the fleet as midshipmen before being commissioned as officers in the Navy; thus they had a need for their midshipman hats. The Class of 1912, commissioned at graduation, was issued officer caps. In a spontaneous gesture, the new officers tossed their midshipmen hats into the air, and the "hat toss" has since become the symbolic end to the four-year program at the Naval Academy. [#3742; 278K]