Karen A. Flack, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Chair
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6501
Stanford University, (1993)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: "Near-Wall Measurements in a Three-Dimensional
Turbulent Boundary Layer"
University of California, Berkeley (1988)
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Rice University, (1986)
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Turbulent Boundary Layers
Roughness Effects on Wall Bounded Flows
Wind and Tidal Turbines
Fellow, American Physics Society, 2014
USNA Class of 1951 Civilian Faculty Research Excellence Award, 2103
US Government Meritorious Service Medal, 2009, 2013
ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering Best Research Paper, Robert T. Knapp Award, 2004
Pi Tau Sigma Teaching Excellence Award, 2001
American Physics Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Society of Women Engineers
- Flack, K.A., Schultz, M.P., “Review of Hydraulic Roughness Scales in the Fully Rough Regime,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 132(4), 041203, 2010.
- Volino, R.J., Schultz, M.P. and Flack K. A., “Turbulence structure in boundary layers over periodic two- and three-dimensional roughness,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 676, pp. 172-190, 2011.
- Flack, K.A., Schultz, M.P., Rose, W.B., “The Onset of Roughness Effects in the Transitionally Rough Regime,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 35, pp. 160-167, 2012.
- Luznik, L, Flack, K.A., Lust, E.E., Taylor, K.C., “The Effect of Surface Waves on the Performance Characteristics of a Model Tidal Turbine,” Renewable Energy, 2013; doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.02.022
- Schultz, M.P., Flack, K.A. “Reynolds-number Scaling of Turbulent Channel Flow,” Physics of Fluids, 25, 025104, 2013; doi: 10.1063/1.4791606.
- Lust, E.E., Luznik, L., Flack, K.A., Walker, J.M., Van Benthem, M.C., “The Influence of Surface Gravity Waves on Marine Current Turbine Performance ,” International Journal of Marine Energy, 2013; doi.org/10.1016/j.jome.2013.11.003
- Walker, J.M., Flack, K.A., Lust, E.E., Schultz, M.P., Luznik, L., “The Effects of Blade Roughness and Fouling on Marine Current Turbine Performance,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 66, pp. 257-267, 2014.