ProgramsThe Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies works closely with other academic departments at the Naval Academy to support opportunities for midshipmen and faculty to study and conduct research within the United States and abroad.
- Faculty-led Cultural Opportunities
- Faculty affiliated with the Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies have led midshipmen on study tours to Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Israel, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Singapore, Senegal, and Malaysia. Information concerning the current programs may be requested from the Director, International Programs.
- Semester Study Abroad
- The International Programs Office administers programs at a number of universities in the Middle East and Asia, including Egypt, Jordan, and Qatar. During the 2010-2011 academic year 29 midshipmen are studying abroad in 10 countries. Information concerning the current programs may be requested from the Director, International Programs.
- Faculty and Midshipmen Research
- Since 2005, faculty affiliated with the Center for Middle East and Islamic Studies have conducted research, presented papers, and attended conferences in Jordan, Kazakhstan, Qatar, Israel, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Malta, Finland, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the UK. Midshipmen have presented research at the Nordic Middle East Conference in Helsinki, and the International Conference series on Emerging Nuclear Energy Systems in Istanbul.