Shifley Lecture Series
This lecture series is funded by the Class of 1950 Museum Endowment in recognition of the significant contribution made to the Endowment by the Shifley Trust.
VADM Ralph Shifley was a highly decorated naval aviator. A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 1933, he was designated a naval aviator in 1937. He participated in WWII operations against the Japanese at New Guinea, Saipan, Guam, the Palaus, and the Philippines. He was awarded the Navy Cross and Distinguished Flying Cross.
All lectures are held at 1230 in the 2nd floor theater of Preble Hall (the Museum)
- September 10: Dr. Bernard Cole, (CAPT, USN, Ret) The Great Wall at Sea: China’s Navy in the 21st Century
- October 2: Dr. Daniel Green, Fallujah Redux: The Anbar Awakening and the Struggle with Al-Qaeda
- October 17:Dr. David Ulbrich, From Belleau Wood to Guadalcanal: Thomas Holcomb and Modernizing the Marine Corps
- November 6:CAPT Bobbie Scholley, (USN Ret) Raising the USS Monitor
- Jan. 7: CAPT Tal Manvel, (USN Ret), 1st Program Manager of Future Carriers, Designing the Navy’s Newest Aircraft Carrier
- Jan. 21: Dr. Jason Smith, Putting the Sea in Sea Power: Naval Science, the Marine Environment, and the Hydrography of American Empire, 1898-1903
- Feb. 11: CDR Chris Rentfrow, Home Squadron: The US Navy on the North Atlantic Station
- Mar. 11: Jamie Malanowski, Commander Will Cushing: Daredevil Hero of the Civil War
- Apr. 8: Dr. William Trimble, Class of 1957 Chair of Naval Heritage, Admiral John S. McCain Sr. and Naval Aviation, 1930-1945
- Oct. 23: Andrew Jampoler, The Navy and 19th Century River Expeditions
- Nov. 1:John Gordon, Fighting for MacArthur
- Nov. 14:Taylor Kiland, Lessons from the Hanoi Hilton
- Nov. 22:CDR Youssef Aboul-Enein, USN, Militant Islamist Ideology
- Dec. 2:RDML Terry McKnight, USN (Ret), Pirate Alley
- Jan. 16: Tom Cutler, Battle of Leyte Gulf
- Jan. 22: Lincoln Paine, The Sea & Civilization
- Feb. 12: Jan Herman, The Lucky Few: The Fall of Saigon and the USS Kirk
- Feb. 26: John Wolter and David Ranzen, "With Commodore Perry to Japan"
- Mar. 7: LCDR BJ Armstrong, USN, "21st Century Mahan"
- Apr. 8: Dr. Larrie D. Ferreiro, "Measure of the Earth: The Enlightenment Expedition that Changed the World"
- Apr. 16: Dr. Craig Symonds, "The Navy and the Civil War"
- Apr. 23: Dr. Gene Smith, "The Slaves' Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812"