News Article Release
Q&A With the Naval Academy's Croquet Team
Posted on: April 16, 2013 08:00 EDT by Naval Academy Public Affairs
The Naval Academy's annual croquet match against St. John's College will take place April 20 at 1 p.m. at St. John's. Here, you can get to know a little about this year's team before their inevitable victory this Saturday.
Why play croquet?
- Steven Spada: I love contact sports.
- Ash Davis: It’s classy.
- David Murtha: It’s fun.
- Dillon T. Pierce: I was drafted because the team wanted to win this year.
- Luke Stephenson: I don’t play croquet. Croquet plays me.
- Ross Herman: It's the most action-packed sport at the academy.
- William Christoph: Because I didn't make the cut for the lawn darts team.
- Ryan Lluy: It is an enjoyable and competitive strategy game.
- Blake Hamilton: Because of the adrenaline rush.
Where will you be in ten years?
- Steven Spada: Just as poor as I am now
- Brian Holloway: Driving a flying car.
- Midshipman Erick Capulong: Flying stuff
- Dillon T. Pierce: Still celebrating this year’s victory
- Luke Stephenson: I will be probably still single.
- Ross Herman: In ten years, I will be celebrating the ten-year anniversary of being asked this question. (There’s always one.)
- William Christoph: I will be ten years older but hopefully a whole lot wiser.
- Ryan Lluy: I will be a Navy pilot.
- Blake Hamilton: I will be lost somewhere in the Alaskan wilderness.
- Colton Southworth: I will be healthy and happy.
If you could have dinner with any three people (living or dead), who would they be?
- Steven Spada: Robert E. Lee, Pat Tillman, and George Washington
- Erick Capulong: one of the Wright brothers, Aubrey Plaza, King Leonidas
- Ash Davis: Jason Statham, my Dad, Abraham Lincoln
- David Murtha: Reagan, Abraham Lincoln, Jesus
- Luke Stephenson: Ernest Hemmingway, Jack London, and the pig from the Geico Commercials. Ernie and Jack and I love bacon.
- Ross Herman: Westlake, Foran, and Stephenson. They never hang out with me.
- Matt Foran: Frank Lampard, Will Ferrell, Zedd
- Zachary Westlake: Yvonne Strahovski, Al Pacino, Bill Clinton
- Ryan Lluy: Lou Gehrig, Ben Franklin, Gene Simmons
- Blake Hamilton: Fridtjof Nansen, Ernest Shackleton, and John Cleese
- Colton Southworth: Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla
What do you sing in the shower?
- Steven Spada: Sinatra and only Sinatra
- Daniel Jacquier: “September” by Earth Wind and Fire
- David Murtha: “I Want to Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston
- Dillon T. Pierce: Whatever the roommates request
- Luke Stephenson: Nickleback and Creed
- Ross Herman: “Singing in the Rain”
- William Christoph: “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- Matt Foran: Country music to annoy my roommates
- Ryan Lluy: Jack Johnson
- Blake Hamilton: “You've Lost That Loving Feeling”
- Colton Southworth: Lux Aeterna
When you were little, what did you dream of being?
- Erick Capulong: In space and winning the St. Johns 2013 croquet match
- Ash Davis: A chef for some fancy restaurant in the U.K.
- Daniel Jacquier: Lieutenant Dan
- David Murtha: Spiderman
- Dillon T. Pierce: a croquet champion
- William Christoph: A cowboy
- Matt Foran: A pro baseball player for the St Louis Cardinals
- Zachary Westlake: A Jedi
- Ryan Lluy: An architect
- Blake Hamilton: A soccer player
One book everyone should read is …
- Ash Davis: The Hobbit
- Daniel Jacquier: Principles of Electronic Communication Systems, Third Edition
- David Murtha: Principles of Electronic Communication Systems
- Dillon T. Pierce: The Gentry Man: A Guide for the Civilized Man
- Eric Bermudez: Don Quixote
- Luke Stephenson: East of Eden. Seriously. Read it.
- Ross Herman: “How to Beat St. John's at Croquet”
- William Christoph: The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- Matt Foran: Fahrenheit 451
- Zachary Westlake: The Outsiders
- Blake Hamilton: The Alchemist
- Colton Southworth: Outliers: A Story of Success
What will be on your epitaph?
- Erick Capulong: “Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
- David Murtha: “Goofy”
- Dillon T. Pierce: Gone to look for more chaos.
- Luke Stephenson: “He was pretty alright.”
- Ross Herman: "He beat St. John's."
- Zachary Westlake: “Connection reset by peer"
- Ryan Lluy: “He wasn’t here for a long time; he was here for a good time.”
- Colton Southworth: “Every man is the artisan of his own fortune.”
What do your teammates say about you?
- Steven Spada: My teammates say I am not good at croquet.
- Brian Holloway: My teammates say I am not at practice.
- Erick Capulong: My teammates say I am an Asian sensation.
- David Murtha: My teammates say I am goofy.
- Ross Herman: My teammates say I am going to beat St. John's.
- William Christoph: My teammates say I am the rock that makes the team roll.
- Matt Foran: My teammates say I am the guy who knows that quote to that movie you can't remember.
- Zachary Westlake: My teammates say I am a ninja.
- Blake Hamilton: My teammates say I am uncivilized.
- Colton Southworth: My teammates say I am reckless.