News Article Release  


Keep What You've Earned

Posted on: June 28, 2013 08:00 EDT by Author's name

Sometimes it’s hard to spot warning signs of a drinking problem in yourself or others. Some of the signs of a drinking problem include:

  • drinking more than intended
  • having memory blackouts when drinking
  • problems with family, friends or the law caused by your drinking

It helps to know these signs so you can make a change early.

If you think you might have a drinking problem, don’t hesitate to get help. The preferred method of addressing potential or suspected abuse is through a “self-referral.” Self-referrals allow you to get help before a problem becomes more advanced. You can start by talking to your command DAPA. Commanding Officer, medical personnel, or Chaplain. By getting help early, you can address your drinking habits before they result in serious consequences. Remember, if you decide to seek help yourself or through the help of your command, neither will result in any disciplinary action.

Alcohol is the most frequently used predatory drug used during sexual assaults. Research shows that up to 90 percent of sexual assaults involve the use of alcohol by the perpetrator, survivor, or both. Don’t let alcohol impair your good judgment - know your limit and watch out for friends and shipmates who could be in vulnerable or dangerous situations.

If you think that a friend or shipmate needs help controlling their drinking, don’t wait until they hit rock bottom - talk to them about your concerns. When approaching a friend, don’t attempt to talk to them while they’re drunk. Wait until they’re sober, then express your concern rather than blame or criticize. Bring up specific incidents that worried you, and be sure to offer to go with them to get help. And remember that you can always ask your Command DAPA or SARP counselor for advice - they’re the experts. Shipmates look out for one another and keep each other safe.

QMC(SW) Hopkins, Command DAPA: 410-293-3272

Midshipmen can find more DAPA information at the internal website:

Back to top