Colleen Roy Krueger
For Media Requests:
Naval Academy Announces Spring Semester Museum Lecture Series
Posted on: January 16, 2014 08:00 EST
Press Release #: #002-14
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The U.S. Naval Academy Museum announces their spring semester Vice Adm. Ralph L. and Frances Shifley lecture series beginning Jan. 16 at 12:30 p.m.
Each 30-minute lecture will be delivered by a selected author with 10 to 15 minutes for questions and answers following the presentation. There will be seven lecturers for each this semester and each will be held in the second floor theatre of Preble Hall. These lectures are free and open to the public. The authors, topics and dates for fall semester are as following:
- Jan. 16 Tom Cutler - Battle of Leyte Gulf
- Jan. 22 Lincoln Paine - The Sea & Civilization
- Feb. 12 Jan Herman - The Lucky Few: The Fall of Saigon and the USS Kirk
- Mar. 7 Lcdr. BJ Armstrong, USN - 21st Century Mahan
- Apr 8 Dr. Larrie D. Ferreiro - Coppering Men-of-War During the Age of Sail
- Apr 16 Dr. Craig Symonds - The Navy in the Civil War
- Apr 23 Dr. Gene Smith - The Slaves' Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812
This lecture series is funded by the Class of 1950 Museum Endowment in recognition of the significant contribution made by the Shifley Trust. Frances Shifley established the trust following the death of her husband, Vice Adm. Ralph L. Shifley. Shifley was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 1933, as well as a highly decorated, fearless naval aviator who had an outstanding career in the U.S. Navy.