For Media Requests:
U.S. Naval Academy Hosts Girls Only Stem Workshop
Posted on: February 24, 2014 08:00 EST
Press Release #: #020-14
NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: Media representatives who wish to attend workshops from 9:45 a.m. – 12 p.m. should call USNA media relations at 410-293-2292 by 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Naval Academy’s Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program will conduct a “Girls Only STEM Workshop” Saturday, March 1 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thirty female faculty members and 40 midshipmen will facilitate the event.
- Over 300 middle-school-aged girls from diverse areas around the region will participate in the free event.
- Registration for the program is closed.
- Parents of participants are also invited to attend morning lectures and discussions led by Naval Academy faculty on topics such a preparing for college.
- This event is sponsored by the National Defense Education Program, the Office of Naval Research, the Naval Academy Foundations, and the Northrop Grumman Foundation.
The workshop is aimed at middle-school-aged girls who want to expand their STEM knowledge through interactions with female faculty and midshipmen at the Naval Academy using exciting technologies in a wide range of science and engineering careers.
The day-long event includes hands-on activities in aerospace, biology, chemistry, electronics, environmental science, mathematics, mechanical engineering, medicine, robotics, and more. Ten different workshops will be offered during the morning and the girls will participate in an engineering design challenge during the afternoon.
For more information about STEM at the Naval Academy, visit http://www.usna.edu/STEM/. For more information about the Naval Academy, visit www.usna.edu or the Naval Academy’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/USNavalAcademy