For Media Requests:
Naval Academy Class of 2017 Arrives for Induction Day
Posted on: June 13, 2013 08:00 EDT
Press Release #: 036-13
WHO: More than 1,200 young men and women report as the Naval Academy Class of 2017.
WHEN: Thursday, June 27 beginning at 6 a.m.
WHERE: U.S. Naval Academy’s Alumni Hall, Annapolis, Md.
WHAT: Incoming plebes (freshmen) are processed through various stations in Alumni Hall to become members of the Naval Academy’s Class of 2017. Stations include uniform issue, medical examinations, hair-cuts and learning to salute. The day culminates with the Oath of Office ceremony at 6 p.m. in Tecumseh Court. After the ceremony plebes will meet with their families for the last time until Plebe Parent’s Weekend, Aug. 8-11. Plebe Summer officially begins at the completion of the Oath of Office ceremony.
For more information about Induction Day and Plebe Summer, please visit our electronic press kit at http://www.usna.edu/PAO/virtual_press_kit/i-day-2013.php.
NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: Media planning to cover this event or wishing to interview/photograph plebes, their parents and/or midshipmen first class (seniors) responsible for plebe training need to contact the Public Affairs Office at 410-293-2292 no later than noon, Wednesday, June 26. Please call the Public Affairs Office by Tuesday, June 25 to make arrangements to bring a microwave or satellite truck to I-Day or the Oath of Office Ceremony.
Media check-in June 27 for Alumni Hall activities:
- Media Check-in: 5:45 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- Coverage: 6 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Check-in location: Gate 8 (off MD 450) Public Affairs staff will direct to parking and check-in table.
- Media arriving after 9 a.m. should call the Public Affairs Office at 410-293-2292 (cells 410-320-9713/9737 may be used as alternates) to make arrangements to check-in with Public Affairs Office staff. No additional media vehicles will be permitted on the grounds after 9 a.m.
Media check-in for Oath of Office Ceremony:
- Media Check-in: 5-5:30 p.m.
- Coverage: 6-7:30 p.m.
- Check-in locations: Walk through Gate 3 (at Maryland Avenue and Hanover Street) or drive on through Gate 8 (Maryland Route 450) where Public Affairs staff will direct you to parking and check-in