The goals of the STEM Outreach Programs at USNA are to:
- Address an urgent Navy and national need for more young people to pursue careers in science and engineering, particularly in technical areas of interest to the military, using Navy-relevant curriculum.
- Act as a focal point for recruiting USNA STEM majors by introducing incoming midshipmen to the rewarding aspects of science and engineering and to encourage retention of STEM majors by engaging them in educational outreach.
- Provide outreach to local and national communities to influence students and teachers in engineering and science studies and to facilitate the recruitment of USNA candidates with an affinity towards STEM majors.
- Prepare midshipmen participants for intellectual challenges by creating opportunities for midshipmen to learn current STEM theory and application, as well as lead in the classroom, strengthen their creative problem solving skills, enhance their innovative thinking, and hone their ability to respond to spontaneous situations.
- Prepare midshipmen to interface with multiple technologies, expose midshipmen to the reality of the interdependence of different disciplines in STEM military technologies, and enhance the technical proficiency and communication skills of our graduates.
Methodology: utilize unique approach to recruiting and retaining technologists by actively engaging elementary/middle/high school students and teachers in a wide variety of science and engineering events (camps, mini-camps, competitions, site visits, short courses, internships) to initiate interest and enthusiasm for future STEM participation in academic and career choices. Unique approach is defined by project based, Navy-relevant curriculum, focusing on current topics, and a pyramidal structure with practicing Navy technologists/educators on top and near peer midshipmen acting as the interface with students, using the outstanding USNA resources as a backdrop for the activities.
STEM Programs Alignment to the Naval Academy Mission and Strategic Plan 2020
The USNA Mission is to develop midshipmen morally, mentally, and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, honor and loyalty in order to graduate leaders who are dedicated to career of naval service and have potential for future development in mind and character, to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship and government.
The STEM Program at USNA prepares midshipmen participants for various intellectual and innovation challenges by creating opportunities for midshipmen to learn STEM theory and application, as well as reinforcing the lessons they have learned in the classroom. The STEM program uniquely offers midshipmen a chance to not only participate in, but lead in the classroom. Involvement in STEM includes learning how to set up and execute an experiment, fielding challenging questions, developing an understanding of the underlying theory; all of which strengthens creative problem solving skills, innovative thinking, and the ability to respond to a situation that was not anticipated.
USNA 2020 VISION - to be the nation’s premier institution for developing future naval leaders from diverse backgrounds to serve in an increasingly interdependent and dynamic world.
The STEM Program derives its curriculum from the current classroom and the cutting edge of new research, prepares midshipmen to interface with multiple technologies and exposes midshipmen to the reality of the interdependence of the sciences, engineering, technologies, and mathematics.