Training and Awareness
- General Ergonomic Awareness Training: designed for all workers, managers, and supervisors as a basic overview of ergonomics. The power point presentation includes information on ergonomic risk factors, work-related musculoskeletal disorders and their signs and symptoms
- Ergonomic Awareness: Vibration: designed for workers and managers as an overview of risk associated with exposure to hand-arm vibration. The short power point presentation includes signs and symptoms of hand-arm vibration syndromes as well as methods to reduce risk.
- Job Requirements and Physical Demand Survey: The Job Requirements and Physical Demands survey (JR/PD) is an ergonomic tool endorsed by the DoD Ergonomic Working Group. Safety and Occupational Health personnel can use the JR/PD to identify ergonomic problem areas and prioritize jobs/ tasks for intervention. The JR/PD bases its outcome on ergonomic risk factors and employee discomfort. The JR/PD can be used as a follow-up tool to OPNAVINST 5100.23 (series) Appendix –A (Ergonomic Risk Factor Screening Tool) or independently to quantify ergonomic risks and prioritize jobs or tasks for intervention.
- Hand and Power Tool Use: The following websites provide information regarding the risks associated with hand tool operation and training materials covering proper hand tool selection and use
Resources and Guides
- Vibration and Hand Tools: Hand-arm Vibration Criteria Document by NIOSH provides a basis for a comprehensive occupation safety and health standard to control exposure to vibration. The document contains a critical review of the scientific and technical information available and explains the safety and health risk and adequacy of various control methods.
- Ergonomic Chair Features - What are all those handles and knobs under my chair? Here's a complete primer on ergonomic chair adjustability features.
- Creating the Ideal Computer Workstation - DoD Information Guide for Supervisors and Users June 2000. This publication offers instruction on how to evaluate a computer workstation and make adjustments to reduce ergonomic stressors. This guide also reviews the purpose and application of ergonomic furniture and accessories.
- Strategic Rest Breaks reduce VDT discomforts without impairing productivity – Press Release by NIOSH summarizing a research study that evaluated the effects of rest breaks among computer users.
- Back Belts do they prevent injury? Press Release by NIOSH summarizing research
- Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders (WMSDs): A Fact Sheet on WMSDs by NIOSH short summary on research conducted and recommendations to prevent injury
- Fact Sheet on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: by NIOSH -–This fact sheet provides a brief overview of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome short summary on research conducted and recommendations to prevent injury
- WMSDs in the Navy: a short paper describing the current impact of WMSDs on Navy military and civilian personnel including high-risk professions and activities. See: Construction - Program categories - Ergonomics
- Hitting the Road? Here are several tips to make your travel more comfortable.
Resources by Profession
- Control of Ergonomic Hazards in Dry-cleaning – a brief 1-2 page user friendly document that describes control techniques that have been documented to substantially reduce hazardous exposures to workers in the industry
- Control of Ergonomic Hazards of Wiring Tasks – a brief 1-2 page user friendly document that describes control techniques that have been documented to substantially reduce hazardous exposures to workers in the industry.
- Health Care Professionals - a resource guide for reducing risk for heath care professionals. Contains information on safe patient handling techniques, resources for training, and resources for equipment and tools. See Construction - Program categories - Ergonomics