Associate Professor Sommer Gentry
- Associate Professor, Mathematics Department, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
- Research Associate, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Ph.D. Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2005
- Stanford University - M.S. Engineering-Economic Systems and Operations Research, 1998
- Stanford University - B.S. Mathematical and Computational Sciences, 1998
Healthcare operations research, linear and integer programming, simulation, graph theory and maximum edge weight matching for kidney paired donation, transplantation and organ allocation, and biomechanics.
- Mathematical Association of America Henry L. Alder Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Beginning Faculty Member, 2009
- Top Ten Abstracts award, American Society of Transplant Surgeons Winter Symposium, January 2013
- Top Ten Abstracts award, American Society of Transplant Surgeons Winter Symposium, January 2009
- Computational Science Graduate Fellows essay contest, awarded for excellence in technical writing that effectively communicates computational science to a lay audience, 2008
- Faculty Special Act recognition award, U.S. Naval Academy, September 2006
- UNOS Transplant Management Forum Abstract Award, Transplant center initiatives to increase donation, April 2005
- U.S. Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship, 2001-2005
- Best Student Paper, IEEE Systems, Man, Cybernetics Conference, 2003
- Baltimore Sun Magazine, "Unassuming brilliance: genius pair rewrite rules of organ transplants", November 2012.
- New York Times, March 31, 2012.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematicians News, December 2008.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alumni Profile, 2008 (Web)
- American Mathematical Society Mathematical Moments poster and podcast (PDF)
- Science News. "Kidney Matchmaking", Math Trek, August 28, 2007.
- Reader's Digest, "The Perfect Match", The Big Idea, March 2006.
- Time Magazine, "The Kidney Connection", Innovators, September 12, 2005.
- Science, Vol. 303, March 12, 2004, p. 1609.
- The Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio, March 18, 2005.
- Baltimore Sun, "By the Numb3rs", Health and Science, January 27, 2006.
- MIT Technology Review, "Make Me a Match", March 2006.
- CBS WJZ Baltimore News, TV interview, January 27, 2006.
- Boston Globe, Health and Science C1, March 16, 2004.
- ScienCentral News, TV news segment, March 23, 2004.
- MIT News Office press release (Web)
- MIT Tech Talk
- MIT Technology Review, "Dance Machine", June 2004, p. 5.
- Boston Globe 3/16/04 (PDF)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematicians News, December 2004.
- DEIXIS 2004-2005 CSGF Annual Report