Professor Pete McCoy
"He who waits for roast duck to fly into his mouth must wait a very long time."
- Ph.D.: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Electromagnetics, Wavelets, Approximation and Computational Methods, Signal and Image Processing, Directed Energy, Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions.
Professional Service (2000-Present)
- SIAM Minisymposium ''Special Functions and Orthogonal Polynomials," Chair and co-organizer with Francisco D. Marcellan (Vice President for Research, Univ. Carlos III de Madrid) SIAM annual mtg, Westin Rio Mar Beach Resort and Country Club, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, July 10-14, 2000.
- SIAM Minisymposium & Panel Member ''Grand Challenges in Electromagnetics,'' as ONR Representative I presented ''Problems in Electromagnetics of Interest to the Navy," Society for Industry & Applied Mathematics (SIAM) annual mtg, San Diego, CA, July 8, 2001.
- AMS Special Session ''Partial Differential Equations and Their Applications,'' co-organizer and co-chair with Reza Malek-Madani and John W. Neuberger, American Mathematical Society (AMS) annual mtgs, San Diego, CA, January 6-9, 2001.
- Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Special Session on ''H-Infinity Methods for Antennas,'' Chair, ACES 17th annual mtg, USNPGS, Monterey, CA, March 19-23, 2001.
- SIAM Session ''Remote Sensing and Inverse Problems,'' Chair, SIAM annual mtg, San Diego, CA, July 8, 2001.
- SIAM Minisymposium ''H-Infinity Methods for Antennas & Electromagnetic Systems," co-organizer and co-chair with Reza Malek-Madani, SIAM 50th anniversary mtg, Philadelphia, PA, July 8-12, 2002.
- AMS-SIAM Joint Special Session ''Dynamical Systems and Oceanography,'' co-organizer and co-chair with Reza Malek-Madani, AMS annual mtgs, Baltimore, MD, January 15-18, 2003.
- AMS Special Session ''Analytic and Computational Methods in Electromagnetics," co-organizer and co-chair with Alexander Stone, AMS East Coast Section mtg, NYU-Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York, New York, April 12-13, 2003.
- AMS-SIAM Joint Special Session "Classical and Nonlinear Special Functions and their Applications," corresponding organizer and co-chair with Peter Clarkson, Univ. of Kent, Canterbury, U.K. and Franciso Marcellan, Univ. Carlos III de Madrid. AMS annual meetings, Phoenix, Arizona, January 7-10, 2004.
- AMS Session Partial Differential Equations, Co-Chair with Danny Arrigo, AMS-MAA Joint meetings, Atlanta, GA, Jan 06, 2005.
- “Special Functions: Asymptotic Analysis & Computation in Honor of Nico Temme's 65th Birthday, SIAM Representative (by title), Santandar, Spain, July 4-6, 2005.
- “N-Star Symposium on Naval Science & Engineering, ONR-USNA Co-sponsored meetings, Chair of Session 5, Annapolis, Sept 20-24, 2005.
- AMS-SIAM Joint Special Session Time Reversal Methods: Analysis & Applications, Co-Chair and Co-responding organizer with Reza Malek-Madani, AMS-MAA annual meetings, San Antonio, TX, Jan 12-15, 2006.
International Service: Workshops/Symposia/Conferences (1997-Present)
- NATO Four Power Air Senior National Representatives Workshop ''High Power Microwave Technology,'' USNA, Local Host. In addition, I gave a Lecture on the ''History and Function of the U.S. Naval Academy." May 1997.
- AMEREM 2002 Steering Cmte Member (USNA Liasion) and Ultrawide Band Cmte Member, Annapolis, MD, June 2-7, 2002.
- ''High Power Microwave Technology,'' HPEM Special Sessions 9.1 and 9.2 (Antennas), co-chair with Everett Farr, AMEREM 2002, June 4, 2002.
Miscellaneous Administrative and Teaching Duties at USNA
- Organized and ran the Academic portion of the Naval Academy Summer Seminar for the first four years of the program (formally the Naval Academy Science Seminar and Workshop; and, the Naval Academy Engineering Science Seminar). The NASS has become a major recruiting program for the Naval Academy.
- Command and Seamanship Training Squadron: USS 211 AMERICAN PROMISE, NAS-2 COURAGEOUS, NAS-4 VALIANT, NAS-7 DAUNTLESS
- Middle Atlantic States 10 Year Accreditation Review (1994-1996) Commission on Higher Education Middle Atlantic States Association of Colleges and Schools. Yard Wide Steering Committee Member: I had Oversight of Chairs for Finance, Long Range Planning & Resource Allocation, Computer Services, Educational Resources, Library & Information Services.
- President: for 14 years of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (Chapter #196) www.phikappaphi.org and Phi Kappa Phi Foundation Fellowship Program Manager (9 Foundation Fellows, 1 Marjorie Schoch Fellow and 1 Award for Excellence: Stanford University (4), M.I.T. (1), Univ. Texas-Austin (2), Carnegie Mellon University (1), Imperial College University of London (1), Oxford University (2) and Corpus Cristi College Cambridge University (1))
- USNA Protestant Chapel Council Faculty Representative (1994-2002) and USNA Protestant Chapel Contributions Committee Member (1996-2000).
- Faculty - Alumni Relations Committee (2 years - Faculty Senate)
- Math Tutor Navy Football Team (3.5 years)
- Faculty Representative: Women's Varsity Basketball Team (1994-1996)
- Course Coordinator: Engineering Mathematics, and, Engineering Mathematics with Statistics, 1978-2003, (SM 311, 312 & 314) (known as the "Blackboard Samurai" by his students)
- Math Dept Awards Committee (principal editor & strategist) math faculty won Apgar, Clements, Teaching (2), Research (2) and Service Awards (1) and two honorable mentions (teaching & research) in Yard Wide Competitions
- USNA Yard Wide Subcommittee on Financial Integrity (NCAA Self-Study, Division I Certification 1995-96).
- Normal teaching load: 3 courses Fall/ 2 courses Spring Sabbatical Leaves taken (None).
Additional Professional Activities (2000-Present)
- Wavelets Workshop: Gilbert Strang and Truong Nguyen, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN, August, 1999, participant.
- Image Processing Workshop: sponsors IPAM-ONR, UCLA, Sept 6-8, 2000, participant.
- Workshops: "Image Processing and Low Level Vision" and "Image Processing and High Level Vision," Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, 15-20 Oct 00 and 12-17 Nov 00, IMA-ONR sponsors, participant.
- ACES-2001 Short Course "Overview of Numerical Computational Methods in Electromagnetics," Dr. Janice Karty, The Boeing Company-Phantom Works, ACES 17th annual mtg (USNPGS), March 19-13, 2001.
- Navy-Industry R&D Partnership Conference 2002, Washington, D.C., August 2002, participant.
- High Energy Laser Program, Joint Technology Office, Annual Program Review, Albuquerque, NM, May 7-9, 2003 and May 5-6, 2004.
- Third Annual Navy Workshop on "Applications of Free Electron Lasers," Johns Hopkins Univ.-Applied Physics Laboratory, July 2003.
- JTO Meetings at Albuquerque and Dayton, July 2004 -present.