I study problems in combinatorics, commutative algebra, and algebraicgeometry. I am particularly interested in algebraic, geometric and combinatorial aspects of Hyperplane Arrangements. For example, the picture to the left is an interesting arrangement of hyperplanes. I have also become interested in Cryptology, Coding Theory, and Linear Programming.
I organize our Math Departments ``Basic Notions'' seminar. Go here to see our past and future talks.
I was born in Kodiak, Alaska and grew up in Seattle, Washington. My father is a retired crab fisherman so I was furtunate enough to spend a few summers living on a crab boat. I was a full time airplane mechanic at Boeing (50-60 hrs per week) while I did my undergraduate studies at Seattle University (1996-2001). Then I went to University of Oregon for graduate school and graduated with a PhD in Mathematics in 2006. From 2006-2008 I was a postdoctoral fellow at Hokkaido University in Sapporo, Japan supported by the NSF international research fellowship program and the NSF Japan program. And in 2008 I came to Annapolis, Maryland. I officially received tenure August 2013.
Recent and forthcoming conferences and workshops
- I am co-organizing a topical workshop at ICERM in Providence RI, Computational geometric topology in arrangement theorey, July 6-10 2015.
- Centro di Ricerca Matema Ennio Giorgi Perspectives in Lie Theory, Pisa, Italy February 2015.
- I organized an AMS special session at the Joint National Meeting, Special Session: Hyperplane Arrangements and Applications, Baltimore, Maryland, January 15-16 2014.
- Arrangements and Characteristic classes, Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto, Japan, November 2013.
- Joint International Meeting of the AMS and the Romanian Mathematical Society, University of Alba Iulia, Romania, June 2013.
- International Conference Experimental and Theoretical Methods in Algebra, Geometry and Topology, Eforie Nord (near Constanta), Romania, June 2013.
- University of Pau, France, Arrangements in Pyrenees, June 2012.
- Pacific Institute of Mathematics, Hyperplane Arrangements and Applications, August 2011.
- Warwick Mathematics Institute, Free Divisors Conference, June 2011.
Department of Mathematics, Chauvenet Hal
The United States Naval Academy
572 Holloway Road, Annapolis, MD 21402