SO231--General Oceanography I Resources
Resources on this page apply to all
sections of the course
The following items are available to assist students in this course:
Programs to assist in your study.
- Gazetteer. Locate the place names for which you will be responsible. Download and then run this setup program. It will also do some plate tectonics animations. The file to download is about 1.4Mb in size. Note that the
mentioned above has some canned maps in it.
You select the locations to plot with this menu choice. The three options will:
- Plot all the locations, which might make the map busy. You can blow up a part of the map with the seventh icon on the toolbar.
- Plot individual locations in a color of your choice.
- Plot a file with a particular type of feature (currents, seas, straits, plate tectonics.
- Geology Data Files. As an option, the gazetteer program can show many features of plate tectonics (boundaries, fracture zones, magnetic anomalies, and earthquakes). Download and then run this setup program. to copy the data to your hard disk. The file to download is about 3 Mb in size.
- Copies of the lab programs used:
- MGT-Marine Geophysics Trainer for plate tectonics. This program and data files are very large. You should not have to download this program unless you want extra practice after doing the lab.
- TS-PLOT for
temperature-salinity diagrams, and geostrophic currents. This is
a zipped directory with the program and the data files. It is likely
that to run this you will have to install
MICRODEM first, which is the base program from you can can run
Links to Outside web pages:
Faculty teaching responsible for creating SO231 computer labs:
Last Update: 10/20/2005