News and Media Releases:
“Ferroelectric nanoparticle-doped liquid crystal - a nonvolatile multi-stable memory function": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 19th February 2014. Reference: Phys. Rev. E 89, 022508 (2014).
“Carbon nanotube-doped liquid crystals result in faster LCDs": Nano Werk Nanotech Spotlight series, 13th December 2013. Reference: Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 241906 (2013).
Nanotube-ion trapping process
“Carbon nanotube-doped liquid crystals : towatds faster LCDs": Internano Nanomanufacturing Expert Review, 13th December 2013. Reference: Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 241906 (2013).
Liquid crystal - carbon nanotube reorientation
“Twisting Molecules by Brute Force: A Top-Down Approach”: Science Daily, The Wall Street Journal, Science Newsline, 14th December 2011. Reference: Phys Rev Lett 107, 237804 (2011). http://www.sciencedaily.com
“Controlled Self-assembly of Quantum-Dots”: The NSF - National Nanomanufacturing Network; 27th July, 2009. Reference: Phys Rev E 80, 010701, (2009). http://www.internano.org
“Carbon nanotube doped liquid crystal: A nano electromechanical system”: My presentation at the Nanomanufacturing Summit 2009 was highlighted by Internano. http://www.internano.org
The United States Naval Academy, Department of Physics
572c Holloway Road, Annapolis, MD 21402
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts (2005 - 2010)
- Ph.D., Physics; Dissertation: "Dielectric Studies of Nanostructures and Directed self-assembled Nanomaterials in Nematic Liquid Crystals"
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2003 - 2005)
- M.Sc., Physics; Thesis: "Fabrication and characterizations of porous silicon and porous alumina by two-step anodization technique"
- Presidency College, Calcutta (2000 - 2003)
- B.Sc., Physics
- Interactions between softmatter and nanomaterials
- Directed self-assembly of nanomaterials (e.g. carbon nanotubes, quantum dots, nanorods etc.) in liquid crystalline media
- Development of novel NEMS, nano-switches, and nano-electromechanical memory functions using nanoparticle-doped liquid crystals
- Chirality (chirality transfer in liquid crystals from various substrates and nano materials)
- Order-disorder phenomena in liquid crystals
- Liquid crystal phases and phase transitions
- Assistant Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (Aug 2012 - Present)
- Post Doctoral Scholar, Case Western Reserve University (May 2010 - July 2012)
- Research grant from the Office of Naval Research through the Naval Academy Research Council; award # N001613WX20992
- Research featured on the Journal Cover of Liquid Crystal (# 97, 199 (2012)), February 2012 issue.
- Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award, The Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, WPI chapter; April, 2010.
- First Prize in ‘Science’ category in the University at the Annual Graduate Research Achievement Day (GRAD) - 2009, WPI; April, 2009.
- Second Prize in poster competition at the Nanomanufacturing Summit 2009, NSF - National Nanomanufacturing Network Annual Meeting, Boston, MA; May, 2009.
- Selected as one of the most experienced and excellent Teaching Assistants (TAs) in the University to mentor the new TAs, WPI; August, 2009.
- The Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, elected associate member; May, 2009.
- Best Teaching Assistant Award (based on student evaluations) for the academic year of 2007-2008, Department of Physics, WPI; May, 2008.