Erected in 1924, the monument includes a helmeted figurehead representing Alexander the Great which was originally located at the bow of HMS Macedonian.
The classical head represents Alexander, the Macedonian who ruled Greece and much of the known world in the 4th century BC. It was carved in wood in 1810 to decorate the bow of the British warship named Macedonian. On October 25, 1812, west of the Canary Islands, the USS United States, commanded by Captain Stephen Decatur, captured the British ship in a two and a half hour battle. Its flag and figurehead were saved and preserved. The ship itself was repaired and served as an American warship until 1835.
The original figurehead will be in the exhibition in Mahan Hall. An exact replica in bronze has been donated by the Naval Academy Class of 1973 and will be displayed in this location.