Monday-Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Located in Preble Hall, the Museum offers two floors of exhibits about the history of sea power, the development of the U.S. Navy, and the role of the U.S. Naval Academy in producing officers capable of leading America's sailors and marines. The famous "Don't Give Up the Ship" battle flag flown at the Battle of Lake Erie is displayed here.
Founded as the Naval School Lyceum in 1845, this is among the nation's oldest museums. It contains two full floors of exhibitions. There is extensive coverage on the War of 1812 on the first floor to the left. Inside, too, is the original signal flag with the famous words "Don't Give Up the Ship" used to begin the Battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813.
Upstairs is the fabulous Henry Huddleston Rogers Collection of Ship Models dating from 1650 to 1850. There is a gift shop in the basement.
HMS Cyane carronades
Flanking the entrance to the USNA Museum, are the cannons of the British warship HMS Cyane, captured by the USS Constitution in 1815.
The two short cannons on either side of the steps were removed from the ship captured by USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides," in February 1815. Cyane was repaired and taken into U.S. Navy service. The short range, low velocity carronade takes its name from the 18th century Carron ironworks in Scotland where they were first made.
The original figurehead will be in the exhibition in Mahan Hall. An exact replica in bronze has been donated by the Naval Academy Class of 1973 and will be displayed in this location.