USNA Weather Forecast
High pressure will build across the Mid-Atlantic and gusty northwest winds will usher-in a seasonably cold air mass for the remainder of the work week. An area of low pressure will pass to our south on Friday night/Saturday. At this time, it appears the system will push out to sea with little impact on the Maryland area. However, behind the departing system a frigid Arctic air mass will take hold for the weekend; this will likely be the coldest air mass of the winter season. The high temperatures on Saturday and Sunday will barely climb into the mid 20’s in Annapolis with the overnight low temperature Saturday night/Sunday morning in single digits. Making matters worse, sustained northwest winds 18-25 mph (gusts to 35 mph) will result in single digit wind chill temperatures during the day on Saturday and Sunday with values ranging -5 to -15 oF Saturday night. Colder conditions are possible in some of the Baltimore and Washington suburbs. Looking ahead, another weather system will approach the region on Monday/Tuesday. At this time, it appears this will be a “mixed bag” event for the Maryland area with periods of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain possible. Check back Friday for updates.
Note: Beginning in the middle of February, MIDN student forecasters majoring in Oceanography will contribute to the regular forecast products under the direct supervision of Meteorologist A.R. Davies.
Five Day Forecast:
- Wednesday: Mostly clear, windy, and cold. A slight chance for passing snow showers this evening. Northwest wind 12-18 mph, gusting to 25 mph. High near 38 oF. Low near 20 oF.
- Thursday: Sunny, windy, and cold. A slight chance for passing snow showers or flurries. Northwest wind 15-20 mph, gusting to 30 mph. High: 26-30 oF. Low: 14-18 oF.
- Friday: Mostly sunny and seasonably cold. A slight chance for snow showers overnight. West wind 5-10 mph. High: 28-32 oF. Low: 18-22 oF.
- Saturday: Sunny, windy, and cold. A slight chance for snow showers in the morning. Northwest wind 18-25 mph, gusting to 35 mph. High: 20-24 oF. Low: 6-10 oF with wind chill temperature -5 to -15 oF.
- Sunday: Sunny, windy, and frigid. Northwest wind 15-20 mph, gusting to 30 mph. The winds will become light and variable overnight. High: 20-24 oF. Low: 10-14 oF.