Spectrum is the Genders and Sexualities Alliance club for the United States Naval Academy. Following the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" a group of Midshipmen came together to make a historical change. This is their product, let it grow.
- To promote mutual respect amongst all members, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- To support anti-defamation in the Brigade of Midshipmen and the Naval Service.
- To develop leadership skills necessary in working with gay, straight, bisexual, lesbian, transgender, asexual, and genderqueer service members.
- To oppose sexual harassment between gay, straight, bisexual, lesbian, transgender, asexual, and genderqueer members of the Brigade of Midshipmen.
- To provide a support group and network for Midshipmen.
- To provide experienced speakers who seek to support the objectives of the organization.
Navy Spectrum ECA is here to create a supportive environment for members of the LGBTQ+ community and their allies by increasing visibility within the Brigade and educating people about LGBTQ+ issues. Spectrum also tackles issues including harassment and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. As Spectrum members invite more straight allies into the club, we allow more people to learn firsthand, without judgment, about the LGBTQ experience, including what it means to be gay, bisexual, asexual, agender, or transgender.
Many Spectrum meetings include documentaries and live panels featuring LGBTQ+ service members, which all aim to discuss the LGBTQ+ experience in and out of our military. Spectrum ECA members from the Air Force Academy and West Point Academy also join us on movement orders around the Annapolis area to promote cohesion among our club members. We have a mentorship connection with USNA’s LGBTQ+ alumni club, USNA Out, where many of the current members were in the military before the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Act was repealed in 2011. Our largest annual event is a dinner party is the Knights Out Gala, held at Westpoint. At this event, Spectrum Clubs members and LGBTQ+ alumni from all the service academies meet for dinner and present awards for long standing LGBTQ+ activists in the military. We also intend to be a part of Annapolis’ local Pride parade next year for the first time!
- President: 2/C Ollie Shapiro
- Vice President: 2/C Eli Walz
- Secretary: 2/C Cynthia Pitts
- Public Affairs Officer: 2/C Hailey Stramoski