Research and Instruction Librarian (Outreach and First Year)
United States Naval Academy, Nimitz Library
Application review will begin on 12 July 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT THE U.S. NAVAL ACADEMY:
Are you interested in working with an accomplished and motivated student body? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues at a top tier liberal arts college with a unique culture? Does living in a historic capital city on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay sound appealing? Please consider applying for the Outreach and First Year Librarian position at the United States Naval Academy’s Nimitz Library!
The United States Naval Academy is a unique institution of higher learning located in Annapolis, Maryland. As a service academy and premier undergraduate college, the United States Naval Academy has its own distinctive niche amongst American higher education institutions. Our talented faculty and staff are united by a common purpose--to develop the next generation of officers to be exceptional leaders in our naval service.
The United States Naval Academy is committed to building a diverse workforce of faculty and staff who provide a multi-disciplinary and hands-on approach to student learning and leadership development. We believe that individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our programs and positively impact student success. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply for consideration.
Every year more than one million people tour "the Yard" to experience what our employees already know — the United States Naval Academy is a special place, with a special purpose. Employees will find challenging and rewarding work; state-of-the-art facilities which inspire academic and athletic excellence; the benefits of Federal employment; and exceptional quality-of-life.
Nimitz Library invites applications for an Outreach and First Year Librarian. The primary responsibilities of the Outreach and First Year Librarian are to coordinate targeted programs and information literacy instruction for first year students, lead outreach efforts for Nimitz Library, and provide general research assistance to the USNA community including some evenings and weekends. This librarian is a member of the Research and Instruction Department at the Nimitz Library and reports to the head of the department.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates programs, events, and services designed to support the research needs of first year students.
- Teaches information literacy and research skills to midshipmen in first year courses; develops and assesses student learning outcomes.
- Collaborates with faculty to plan and integrate information literacy instruction and the use of library resources in course syllabi and assignments.
- Leads outreach and marketing efforts for Nimitz Library, including special events, library publications, and social media.
- Provides research assistance service, in-person and virtually, using in-depth knowledge of academic library resources.
- Monitors academic library trends and participates in professional development to guide innovation.
- Participates in Nimitz-wide initiatives, collaborating with colleagues in working towards the library strategic goals; contributes to the development of services and resources to support teaching, learning and scholarship.
This is an onsite, 12-month federal excepted service position with a 3-year renewable appointment, a highly competitive salary, and full federal benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications; please see the AD-1 payscale for salary range: https://www.usna.edu/HRO/_files/documents/Faculty_Pay_Table_2022.pdf
Required Minimum Qualification:
- A master’s degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or other relevant graduate degree.
We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience or demonstrated interest in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience providing research support, or similar services in an educational or other relevant setting
- Experience with marketing and outreach in an educational or other relevant setting
- Knowledge of current pedagogical trends; enthusiasm for instruction
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Commitment to professional growth and contributions to the field
- Experience initiating, pursuing, managing, and completing projects.
- Demonstrated interest or experience in diversity and inclusion initiatives
HOW TO APPLY FOR POSITION:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the hiring committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. References will be requested of those that are invited to interview.
Please note: Review of applications will begin on 12 July 2022, and the position will remain open until filled.
IMPORTANT APPLICANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
- To comply with the applicable nationwide preliminary injunction on Executive Order 14043, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Department of the Navy is not taking any action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Newly hired employees will need to provide their vaccination status as well as comply with workplace safety protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:-U.S. Citizenship Required
-All Civilian Faculty Positions at USNA are subject to a background investigation. The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination. Background investigations for non-US Citizens often require up to two years to complete, and for non-US Citizens the background check must be complete before employment can begin. More information about the background investigation process can be found at the Academic Dean and Provost’s website here http://www.usna.edu/Academics/Faculty-Information/Background-Investigation-Info.php.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
The Department of the Navy provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they require reasonable accommodation should contact our Human Resource Office to ensure that the Department of the Navy can consider such requests. The decision to grant an accommodation will be made on a case by case basis.
Optional Demographic Information Request