Thomas E. Brennan
Early Modern France; European Social History
- Phone: (410) 293-6255
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The United States Naval Academy
572 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402
- Ph.D. - The Johns Hopkins University
- M.A. - The Johns Hopkins University
- B.A. - Catholic University of America
Thomas Brennan, ed., Public Drinking in the Early Modern World: Voices from the Tavern, 1500 - 1800, vol. 1 France (Pickering & Chatto, 2011).
Burgundy to Champagne: The Wine Trade in Early Modern France. (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997).
Public Drinking and Popular Culture in Eighteenth-Century Paris. (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1988).
"Peasants and Debt in Eighteenth-Century Champagne" Journal of Interdisciplinary History, 37 (2006): 175-200.
"Taverns and the Public Sphere in the French Revolution," in Mack Holt, ed. Alcohol: A Social and Cultural History (Oxford: Berg, 2006), 107-120.
"Taverns in the Public Sphere in 18-century Paris," Contemporary Drug Problems 32 (2005): 29-43.
"Production and Consumption of Alcohol in France" in Jack Blocker, ed., Alcohol and Temperance in Modern History: An International Encyclopedia (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 2003), 1:248-51.
"Coffeehouses and Cafe's," in Alan C. Kors, ed., Encyclopedia of the Enlightenment(Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003) 1:267-69.
"Town and Country in France," in Stephen Epstein, ed., Town and Country in Pre-Modern Europe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001), 250-71.
"Drinking and Drugs," in Peter Stearns, ed., The Encyclopedia of European Social History (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2001), 5: 89-101.
Reviews published in:
- The Journal of Modern History
- The American Historical Review
- The Journal of Economic History
- The Journal of Social History
- The Journal of Interdisciplinary History
- Histoire Sociale/Social History
- Law and History Review;Military Affairs
- The Social History of Alcohol Review
- The Eighteenth Century: A Current Bibliography