Languages and Cultures Department
Requirements for the language minor
- Complete a minimum of six courses (18 credit hours) in any one language, to be taken in sequence.
- An average grade of B (3.0 GPA) or better must be earned in all courses in the language of specialization, unless permission is otherwise granted by the Chair of Languages and Cultures.
- Language validations prior to starting sequenced courses can alleviate a maximum of two courses (six credit hours) toward the minor. Validations in excess of six credit hours may fulfill graduation requirements but will not count toward the minor.
- Language immersion programs (such as LSAP or STEM language-intensive summer programs) vetted by professors in the Languages and Cultures Department, semester study abroad, or CLS (Critical Language Scholarship) may alleviate no more than two additional courses (six credit hours).
- In all cases, a minimum of two language courses (six credit hours) must be taken in residence at USNA, with a 3.0 GPA.
- Midshipmen who meet these requirements receive the minor automatically; there is no application procedure or designated advisor.