About the Library.
The Nimitz Library offers comprehensive library services to midshipmen and faculty. Service is also provided to USNA military and civilian staff and their family members, to personnel attached to the other activities of the Annapolis Area Naval Complex, and to local retired faculty members and retired military personnel.
Other residents of the Annapolis community and authorized researchers may make use of the Library's resources under specific circumstances.
The Nimitz Library, completed in 1973, is named in honor of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN (1885-1966); [Biography]. A 1905 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, Admiral Nimitz served as Commander-in-Chief, Pacific, during World War II.
FY 2016 Facts and Figures
- Total physical volumes (including books, periodicals & media): 691,528
- Book titles:
- Physical books: 435,928
- eBooks: 397,432
- Media titles:
- Physical media (CD, DVD, VHS): 9,921
- Streaming media: 10,038
- Physical titles: 7,849
- Accessible eJournals: 68,224
- Databases: 175
- Digital special collections: 3,169
- Gate count: 290,949
- Physical checkouts: 27,664
- eBook usage: 62,220
- eJournal usage: 204,788
- Reference assistance & consultations: 3,621
- Library instruction sessions: 240
- Student attendance in sessions: 4,962
- Interlibrary loans provided to other libraries (including books & articles): 2,499
- Interlibrary loans received from other libraries (including books & articles): 3,149