Michelson Hall Dedication Collection, 1948-1972 (bulk 1967-1969): Finding Aid
Published in 1989
- Publisher: United States Naval Academy. Special Collections & Archives.
- Publisher Address:
589 McNair Road
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5029, USA
- Call number: MS 242
- Location: Special Collections & Archives Department - Manuscripts
- Title: Michelson Hall Dedication Collection
- Dates: 1948-1972
- Bulk Dates: 1967-1969
- Size: 3.25 linear inches (1 manuscript box)
- Creator: Michelson Hall Dedication Committee
- Language(s) of material: English
- Abstract: Michelson Hall, named in honor of physicist and Naval Academy graduate Albert Abraham Michelson, was dedicated on May 10, 1969. The Michelson Hall Dedication Collection consists of official memoranda, notices, orders, correspondence, publications, and guest lists relating to the preparation and execution of the dedication of Michelson Hall.
History of Michelson Hall
Michelson Hall, home to the United States Naval Academy's Mathematics and Science Division, was dedicated on May 10, 1969. The building is named in honor of Albert Abraham Michelson (1852-1931), member of the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1873, and the first American to win a Nobel Prize in the physical sciences in 1907. Designed by the firm of John Carl Warnecke & Associates, Michelson Hall is located on the site where Michelson, then an officer-instructor at the Academy, conducted some of his earliest experiments to measure the velocity of light.
Description of Contents
The Michelson Hall Dedication Collection, comprising 3.25 linear inches of documentation, spans from 1948 to 1972 (bulk 1967-1969). Largely the product of the Michelson Hall Dedication Committee and the Michelson Hall Dedication Planning Committee, the collection consists of official memoranda, notices, orders, correspondence, publications, and guest lists relating to the preparation and execution of the dedication of Michelson Hall.
The Michelson Hall Dedication Collection is arranged alphabetically by subject.
Access and Use
Access is unrestricted.
Copyright and Permission
The Michelson Hall Dedication Collection is the physical property of Nimitz Library. Copyright belongs to the authors or creators of the works, or their legal representatives. For further information, consult the Head, Special Collections & Archives.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure written permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce material from Special Collections & Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for infringement of copyright or literary or publication rights. Please contact the Head, Special Collections & Archives for permission to publish and for further information.
Acquisition and Appraisal
Provenance and Acquisition
Related Archival Material
Additional material pertaining to the construction and operation of Michelson Hall can be found in RG-405 Records of the United States Naval Academy, the Naval Academy Archives Reference Files, and the U.S. Naval Academy Archives Picture Collection in Special Collections & Archives, Nimitz Library.
Materials Cataloged Separately
No materials have been removed from this collection and cataloged separately.
Processing and Other Information
Michelson Hall Dedication Collection, MS 242
Special Collections & Archives Department
United States Naval Academy
This collection was processed by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989. Finding aid written by Mary R. Catalfamo in 1989 and revised by David D'Onofrio in February 2014.
These materials have been indexed in the Naval Academy Library online catalog using the following terms. Those seeking related materials should search under these terms.
Name and Subject Terms
- Michelson Hall Dedication Planning Committee
- Michelson Hall Dedication Committee
- Michelson, Albert A. (Albert Abraham), 1852-1931
- United States Naval Academy -- Buildings and Grounds
- Attendance lists
- Programs (documents)