How to Make a Referral
While many students go to the MDC on their own, your exposure to students increases the likelihood you will identify signs or behaviors of distress in a student. What can you do?
- Recommend the student fill out a request for an appointment either by going to the MDC or through the online form on our web site.
- Determine the student's willingness to go to a helping resource. Reassure the student that it is an act of strength to ask for help.
- Dispute the myth that only "weak or crazy" people go for counseling or use others for help.
- Remind them that the MDC is a confidential service that will not go in their medical record.
- Offer to help make the initial contact with the helping resource.