Midshipmen Development Center
When to Refer a Student for Further Assistance
Some signs that suggest problems for which the student should be referred for assessment are if the student:
- Manifests a change in personality (goes from being actively involved to quiet and withdrawn, or goes from being quiet to more agitated or demanding).
- Shows signs of memory loss.
- Exhibits behaviors or emotions that are inappropriate to the situation.
- Shows signs of depression (no visible emotions or feelings, appears lethargic, loses weight, looks exhausted and complains of sleeping poorly, displays feelings of worthlessness or self-hatred, or is apathetic about previous interests).
- Talks about unusual patterns of eating, not eating, or excessively eating.
- Experiences deteriorating academic performance (incapacitating test anxiety, sporadic class attendance, or extended absences from class).
- Begins or increases alcohol.
- Makes statements regarding suicide, homicide, feelings of hopelessness, or helplessness.