Michelle Gaudett Koul, PhD
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
410 293 6532
University of Virginia, 1997
Doctor of Philosophy, Materials Science and Engineering
Dissertation: "Investigation of the Metallurgical Factors Affecting Hydrogen Embrittlement of Solution Heat Treated
and Aged Ti-3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr (wt. %) Employing Fracture, Microscopy and Desorption Methods"
University of Virginia, 1993
Masters of Science, Materials Science and Engineering
State University of New York, 1984
Bachelors of Science, Physics
Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (April 00 - Present)
Materials Engineer, Fatigue and Fracture Branch, Naval Surface Warfare Center, West Bethesda, MD, (June 97 - March 00)
2004 Campbell Award, National Association of Corrosion Engineers
- Sephen D. Funni*, Michelle G. Koul, Angela L. Moran, "Evaluation of Properties and Microstructure as a Function of Tempering Time at Intercritical Temperatures in HY-80 Steel Castings", Engineering Failure Analysis, Volume 14 (2007), pp. 753-64. *Independent research student
- John E. Holthaus*, Michelle G. Koul and Angela L. Moran, "Property and Microstructure Evaluation as a Function of Processing Parameters: Large HY-80 Steel Casting for a U.S. Navy Submarine", Engineering Failure Analysis, Volume 13 (2006), pp. 1397-1409. *Bowman Scholar
- Brian J. Connolly, M. Gaudett Koul, Angela L. Moran, "A Comparison Study of Stress Corrosion Crack Growth Rates for AA7XXX Alloys as a Function of Bulk Aqueous Chloride Concentrations", Corrosion, Vol. 61 (2005), pp. 976-86.
- M. Gaudett Koul, "Topographical Analysis of Pitting Corrosion in AA7075-T6 Using Laser Profilometry", Corrosion, Vol. 59 (2003), pp. 563-74.
- C. Ferrer*, M. Gaudett Koul, B. Connolly, A. Moran, "Improvements in Strength and Stress Corrosion Cracking Properties in Aluminum Alloy 7075 Via Low Temperature Retrogression and Re-Aging Heat Treatments", Corrosion Vol. 59 (2003), pp. 520-8. *Trident Scholar