Richard E. Link
Mechanical Engineering Department
United States Naval Academy
590 Holloway Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5042
Fax (410) 293-3041
University of Maryland - College Park, (Jan. 1986 - June 1993)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation: "The Mechanics of Self-similar, Mixed Mode Fatigue Crack Growth"
University of Maryland, (Aug. 1983 - Dec. 1984)
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering
University of Maryland, (Jan. 80 - June 1983)
Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Elastic-plastic fracture mechanics
Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (Aug. 07 - Present)
Associate Professor, U.S. Naval Academy (Aug. 00 - Aug. 07)
Assistant Professor, U.S. Naval Academy, (Aug. 95 - Aug. 00)
Mechanical Engineer, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, (Feb. 85 - Aug. 95)
American Society for Testing and Materials, Award of Merit (Society Fellow), 2002
USNA Raouf Ali Raouf Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching Engineering, 2004
U.S. Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award, 2006
- Petti, J., Dodds, R.H., Jr., and Link, R.E., "Crack Mouth Opening Displacement-Based η Factors for SE(B) Specimens," Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 37(4), July 2009, pp. 383-386.
- Link, R.E., Joyce, J.A., and Roe, C., “Crack arrest testing of high strength structural steels for naval applications,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 76(3), February 2009, pp 402-418.
- Scibetta M., Link, R., Schuurmans J., Lucon E., “Towards Crack Arrest Testing Using Miniature Specimens,” Journal of ASTM International, 5(9), October 2008, DOI: 10.1520/JAI101002
- Link, R.E., and Roe, C., “Crack Arrest Testing Using Small Wide Plate SE(T) Specimens,” Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 5, No. 3, March 2008, Paper ID JAI101001
- Link, R.E., Joyce, J.A., and Roe, C. , “An Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Biaxial Loading on the Master Curve Transition Temperature in RPV Steels,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 74(17), November 2007, pp. 2824-2843.
- Link, R.E., “Analysis of Dynamic Fracture and Crack Arrest of an HSLA Steel in an SE(T) Specimen,” Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 3, No. 1, January 2006.
- Joyce, J.A., Link, R.E., and Gaies, J., “Evaluation of the Effect of Biaxial Loading on the To Reference Temperature Using a Cruciform Specimen Geometry,” Journal of ASTM International, Vol. 2, No. 1, January 2005.
- Book: Link, R.E., and Nikbin, K., Editors, Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics: 35th Volume, ASTM STP 1480, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2007
- Book Chapter: Link, R.E. and Chona, R., “Dynamic Fracture and Crack Arrest,” invited chapter in Dynamic Fracture Mechanics, A. Shukla, Editor, Worldwide Scientific Publishers, June 2006.