NESA Jamboree 2018
Welcome to the webpage for the 2018 United States Naval Academy STEM Jamboree!
If you are interested in the Jamboree 2018, please fill out the the initial interest form below. The form will indicate that your troop is interested in attending the Jamboree. This form will close at 1700 EST on October 7th. You will get a notification if you have been selected through our lottery system for registration within a week after the form closes.
Message from the Jamboree Commanding Officer:
Good morning Scouters!
My name is Andrew Lee and I am this year’s US Naval Academy STEM Jamboree (USJ) Commanding Officer.
For those who do not know, the vision of the USJ is to create an event which inspires young adults to explore, to ask questions and to challenge themselves by showing them different aspects of the military, STEM and leadership which they otherwise would not experience. We will make a slight departure from the previous year’s event by putting more of a focus on the accomplishment of this vision through hands on activities such as showcasing different technologies and research Midshipmen have performed as well as giving the scouts a glimpse of what our training looks like.
We will be holding our event this year on the weekend of January 19-21, the weekend after Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. We will be holding the event at this date so that we can have a greater Midshipmen and faculty involvement in the event and access more areas of the Academy, helping us create a better experience for you and your scouts.
If you are interested in this event, please indicate so on the interest form above. This is an initial interest form, not a registration form so please keep your eyes open for when registration comes out October 7th.
Thank you and have a great day!
Yours in scouting
MIDN Andrew Lee
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org which will be checked Wednesdays and Sundays.
Please check out the Jamboree Facebook page!
- January 19-21, 2018
- *** TENTATIVE SCHEDULE ***
- September 18: Lottery opens and send email
- October 7th: Lottery Closes at 1700 EST
- October 10th: Lottery will be announced in the evening with registration information email
- November 12th: Initial deposit due with completed rosters (postmarked)
- January 19th-21st: Jamboree 2018!
Per scout or adult (Includes patches, t-shirts, meals in King Hall, busing to and from Camp Letts)
Attendance Cost Jamboree Only $25.00 Jamboree and Tents $45.00 Jamboree and Cabins $65.00
* Participants camping with the Jamboree will stay at Camp Letts
- The main event will be held at the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland (USNA); however, all troops will be camping at YMCA Camp Letts, Edgewater, Maryland, unless the troop is within commuting distance and opts not to stay at camp Letts.
What Do We Offer?
- Integrated Boy Scouts and military training
- Earn a Merit Badge
- Keynote Speaker on Saturday
- Camping experience
- Meet scouters all over the East Coast
- Tour of the beautiful Naval Academy
Merit Badges/Classes (tentative)
- Nuclear Science
- Digital Technology
- Space Exploration
- Search and Rescue (not merit badge)
- Military Skills (not merit badge)
- YP Underway (not merit badge)
- Leadership (Not Merit Badge)
- Pack the necessary items for a 2 night camping trip in temperatures averaging around the low-30s to the mid-40s. Here is a sample packing list attached (This will only serve as a guide).
- USNA is an operating Naval Base, so please do not bring in any weapons including pocket knives. Please leave these forbidden items back at Camp Letts
- Cabins will be limited but available upon request during registration
- Is the 15 person limit for scouts or scouts and adults? The 15 person limit is for scouts only. The limit for adults attending with the unit is 3.
- My troop has never been to your event, will we keep being shut out like we have been for the past x years? I tried to bring in as many new troops this year as possible. This included cutting back the amount of slots each accepted troop had to bring scouts and adults. If you were not chosen I apologize and hope that you do continue to apply for this event in the future. There are also other ways to visit the Naval Academy. There are weekend tours for scout troops and there is a historic trail around Annapolis that troops hike very often.
- Do you have a timeline for the Jamboree? Not for this year, but here is last year's timeline!
- OCT 12 Preregistration Closes for 2016 Jamboree
- OCT 19 Last Day Troops will be notified that they have been selected for 2016 Jamboree
- NOV 25th All Registration paperwork will be due from selected Troops.
- Is there an age requirement? Yes! Scouts must be 11 or older to participate. Or be at least 10 years old and have finished 5th grade.
- How likely is it for my troop to be picked off of the waitlist? While the waitlist can be long, do not be discouraged if you do not make the initial cut!
- How long are the Special Events? This year's Special Events take up half the day.