#041-16 U.S. Naval Academy Hosts Girls Only STEM Workshop
POSTED ON: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 4:21 PM by email@example.com
NOTE TO EDITORS AND REPORTERS: This event is a great opportunity for journalists, photographers and videographers to obtain imagery and interviews during STEM workshops. Media representatives who wish to attend workshops from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. should call USNA media relations at 410-293-2292 by 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Naval Academy’s Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program will conduct a “Girls Only STEM Workshop” for middle school-age girls Saturday, Oct. 15, in Rickover Hall at the Naval Academy.
The day-long workshop includes hands-on activities in robotics, chemistry, coastal engineering, sports medicine, applied math, physics and more. Students will participate in a career forum with female role models from the civilian and military communities, and will also participate in an engineering design challenge during the afternoon.
- Fifteen female faculty members and 40 midshipmen will facilitate the event.
- Over 240 middle school-age girls from around the region will participate.
- The program is free for all participants.
- Parents of participants are also able to attend morning lectures and discussions led by Naval Academy faculty on topics such as nutrition, preparing for college, and the importance of a STEM education.
- This event is sponsored by the Office of Naval Research, the Naval Academy Foundation, and the Northrop Grumman Foundation.
For more information about STEM at the Naval Academy, visit http://www.usna.edu/STEM/. For more information about the Naval Academy, visit www.usna.edu or the Naval Academy’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/USNavalAcademy.
Category: Press Releases