IT360 Lab 13: Extensible Markup Language
DUE: Monday, May 3, 2010, BEFORE start of class
This lab should get you familiar with the creation and use of XML and XML-related files.
Create a Lab13 directory on your W drive. All the files created for this lab should be in this directory.
PART 1: Create an XML file
PART 2: Create a DTD (Document Type Definition file)
2) Create a DTD called yourlastname_lab13.dtd that describes your Midshipman type
3) Modify your XML file to specify that the file conforms to the DTD that you just created
PART 3: Create a XSL stylesheet
4) Create a XSL stylesheet yourlastname_lab13.xsl to display your XML file as an HTML table.
5) Modify your XML file to link to the XSL stylesheet that you just created. Open your XML file in a browser. You should see a list of all mids, displayed as a table
PART 4 (Extra credit): MySQL and XML
6) Connect to your database on schooner.cs.usna.edu. Write and execute a query to select all the products from your Product table (or your equivalent table)
From the menu, select File-Export Resultset-Export as XML file. Save the file as products.xml in your Lab13 directory on your W drive Review the .xml and .dtd files created by MySQL Query Browser
7) Create an XSL stylesheet products.xsl to display the products in products.xml as an HTML table.
8) Modify products.xml to link to the XSL stylesheet you created. Open your products.xml in a browser.
Turn in (due before start of class on Monday, May 3, 2010):