This week we learned how you can control the web server to rewrite/redirect URLs (to provide more useful and stable URLs) and how to do basic access control. In this lab you will apply all of those concepts.
1. NOTE 1: this lab presumes you are familiar with the basics of WAMP. Ask for help where needed.
2. NOTE 2: when finished you will DEMO your lab to the instructor. If this doesn’t happen during the same lab period, make sure you save all your web and configuration files to your W drive so that you can easily get this working again later.
3. Important: Go to c:/Wamp/Apache2/conf/. Make a backup copy of httpd.conf (call it httpd.conf.orig)
4. Turn the WAMP server on.
8. Modify WAMP settings to get your old functionality working on the WAMP server. If you used relative URLs, then all you need is to enable Perl functionality:
9. Verify that your old website is now be fully functional, via http://localhost
10. Here is what you what you want to have when you are finished.
11. Ensure your page works with Firefox. Having it work on IE is encouraged but not required.
12. Ensure all your pages validate and that you have met all requirements.
13. DEMO your lab to the instructor. If this is not done today, you can demo during the next lab period.
14. Important: before you logout
1) All of your files for Lab08 should be in a folder called "Lab08" (without the quotes) on the Web drive.
2) All files must be complete before you submit the hardcopy of your assignment. Do NOT modify your files after you have submitted your assignment.
3) Turn in the following hardcopy on or before the due date, stapled together in the following order (coversheet on top):
a) A completed assignment coversheet. Your comments will help us improve the course.
b) The first page of the output of the W3C validator, as run on the final version of your Lab08/index.html (you’ll need the file upload feature to get this to work). This should show that your document correctly validated, but turn it in anyway if you can’t get your page to validate.
c) A printout of just the modified parts of your Lab08/index.html file (there should be some, but not too many). You can print more than the minimal parts out if necessary, but highlight/circle the parts you changed.
d) Printout of your .htaccess file
e) Printout of your password file
f) Printouts of anything else you needed to create / modify to get this to work.
In your httpd.conf file, find
Now, about 14 lines below that line, you will see this:
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
Change that line to:
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
need to set shebang thing to
In config file,
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
AddHandler cgi-script .pl