- Ph.D., Computer Science and Engineering, The University of Connecticut, August 1997.
- M.S., Computer Science, Naval
Postgraduate School, June 1990. AFCEA Award for
Research Excellence, 1990.
- B.S., Applied Science (Computer Science), United States
Naval Academy, May 1983.
Main research areas are in malware analysis, safety-critical software and
reuse. Main teaching areas include Software Engineering, Embedded Systems, Programming
Languages, Operating Systems, Data Structures, and Introduction to
Served as Chair of the Computer Science Department,
Chair of the campus-wide Cyber Warfare Committee,
Acting Director of the Center for Cyber Security Studies, and
as an ABET-CAC program evaluator.
While on active-duty with the United States Navy, served as a Naval
Flight Officer and Mission Commander with over 1000 flight hours in the S-3 Viking on
Carrier Air Wing One (CVW-1) aboard the USS America
and the USS Roosevelt.
Courses Taught (Access Restricted to USNA Only)
- IC470- Software Engineering (with Capstone Design). Capstone Topics
- IC480 - Capstone.
- IT320 - Systems Analysis and Design.
- IT440 -
Systems Analysis and Design (with Java).
- SI110 - Intro to Cyber Security.
- SI180 - Fundamentals of Computing.
- Introduction to Computer Science (C/C++). data.txt and data2.txt
- SI210 - Introduction to Computer Science (Pascal).
- SI283 - Programming for Systems Engineers (C).
- SI221 -
- SI304 -
- SI334 -
Software Engineering with Capstone.
- SI336 -
- SI411 -
- SI434 -
Intro to Software Engineering.
- SI435 - Advanced
- SI485 - Adv. Topics in Computer Science: Advanced Ada Programming.
- SI486 - Adv. Topics in Computer Science: Object-Oriented Programming Methodologies.
- SI486 -
Adv. Topics in Computer Science: Programming in Distributed Environments Using CORBA.
- -------- Research Courses: Final Report
- Project Posters Information.
- SI495 - Computer
Science Research Project: High Energy Laser Progressive Wavefront Modeling.
- SI495 - Computer
Science Research Project: High Energy Laser Modeling and Simulation
- SI496 - Computer
Science Research Project: Embedded Systems Using Java
- SI496 - Computer
Science Research Project: Stealthy Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
- RSA Demo
sample PublicKeyC and PrivateKeyC
as well as my PublicKeyD.
- Malware Analysis
- Safety-Critical Software Metrics
- Software Reuse Within Product Lines
- Multi-Disciplinary Design Environments
- Geographically Distributed Data Security
- Programming Language Extensions for Propagation Modeling
- S.Oni, K. Pansare, S. Arneja, Z. Chen, A. Crainiceanu, K. Joshi, and D. Needham, RDFINT: A Benchmark for Comparing Data Warehouse with Virtual Integration Approaches for Integration of RDF Data. 2020 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2020), Atlanta, GA, December 10-13, 2020, to appear.
- S.Oni, Z. Chen, A. Crainiceanu, K. Joshi, and D. Needham, A Framework for Situation-Aware Access Control in Federated Data-as-a-Service Systems Based on Query Rewriting. 2020 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC), 19 Oct 2020, pp. 1-11.
- F. Yang, A. Crainiceanu, Z. Chen, and D. Needham. Cluster-Based Join for Geographically Distributed Big RDF Data. 2019 IEEE International Congress on BigData (BigDataCongress), Milan, Italy, 2019, pp 170-178.
- S. Oni, Z. Chen, A. Crainiceanu, K. Joshi and D. Needham. Situation-Aware Access Control in Federated Data-as-a-Service for Maritime Search and Rescue. 2019 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC), Milan, Italy, 2019, pp. 228-230.
P. Young and D. Needham, 2013. Using a Class-Wide, Semester-Long Project to Teach Software Engineering
Principles. GSTF Journal on Computing, 3(3): 118-135.
P. Young and D. Needham. Experiences in Teaching Software Engineering, CSEIT 2013, Phuket, Thailand, 28-29 Oct 2013.
D. Needham et al, 2012. Anatomy, Dissection, and Mechanics of an
Introductory Cyber-Security Class's Curriculum at the United States Naval Academy.
ASEE Computers in Education Journal, 22(3):63-80.
- D. Needham et al. Developing and Implementing an Institution-Wide Introductory
Cyber-Security Course in Record Time.
Proceedings of the 50th ACM Southeast Conference, Tuscaloosa, AL, 29-31 March 2012, pp. 95-100.
- D. Needham and P. Vincent, Initial Report of the Deanís Cyber Warfare Ad Hoc Committee,
U.S. Naval Academy Computer Science Department Technical Report,
Annapolis, MD, 2011.
- T. Augustine, P. Vincent, D. Needham (2010). NSA/DHS CAE Application Lessons Learned, Proceedings of the 14th Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education (14th CISSE), pp. 151-158, Baltimore MD.
- S. Demurjian and D. Needham. (2009). Experiences in Project-Based
Software Engineering: What Works, What Doesn't. Software Engineering:
Effective Teaching and Learning Approaches and Practices. H. Ellis (ed.),
IGI Global, pp. 191-211.
- D. Needham and S. Jones, 2007. A Software Fault Tree Key Node
Metric, Journal of Systems and Software, 80(9):1530-1540.
- D. Needham and M. Izbicki, High Energy Laser Wavefront
Modeling, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software
Engineering Research and Practice (SERP'07), Las Vegas, NV, 25-28
June 2007. pp. 137-143.
- D. Needham and S. Jones, A Software Fault Tree Metric, Proceedings of
the International Conference on Software Metrics (ICSM 2006), Philadelphia, PA,
25-27 Sept 2006. pp. 401-410.
- D. Needham and S. Jones, An Improvement Algorithm for Safety-Critical
Software, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering
Research and Practice (SERP'06), Las Vegas, NV, 26-29 June 2006.
- D. Needham, Interdisciplinary Teams for Software System Development,
Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Frontiers in Education:
Computer Science and Computer Engineering (FECS'05). Las Vegas,
NV. June 20-23
2005. pp. 10-16.
- D. Needham and K. Schulze, Discovering Student Outcomes, Proceedings of
the 2005 International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science
and Computer Engineering (FECS'05). Las Vegas, NV. June 20-23
2005. pp. 99-94.
- D. Stahl, D. Needham, and M. Lennerton, An Overview of Modeling and
Simulation in the CS Department at USNA. Proceedings of the Society for
Computer Simulation Spring 2005 Simulation Multiconference (SCS 2005). San
Diego, CA, April 3-7, 2005. pp. 171-178. Invited Paper.
- D. Needham, R. Caballero, S. Demurjian, F. Eickhoff, J. Mehta and
Y. Zhang, "A Reuse Definition, Assessment, and Refactoring Framework for
UML". Advances in UML/XML based Software Evolution, H. Yang (ed.) IRM Press,
May 2005, pp 281-302.
- D. Needham, and E.
Eckstrand, Analyzing a High Energy Laser
Modeling and Simulation Framework, Proceedings of the International
Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice (SERP'04), Volume
II, Las Vegas, NV, 21-25 June 2004, pp. 580-586.
- D. Needham, Interdisciplinary Teams for Embedded Software Systems,
Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering
Research and Practice (SERP'04), Volume I, Las Vegas, NV, 21-25 June 2004,
- M. McMahon, D. Needham, and J. Datko, "Performance of a Jini-Based
Ad Hoc Network Authentication Scheme", Proceedings of the ICSA 16th
International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems
(PDCS '03), Reno, Nevada, 13-15 August, 2003 pp. 442-447.
- D. Needham, M. McMahon, and J. Datko, "Ad Hoc Network
Authentication: A Jini-based Approach", Proceedings of the International
Conference on Wireless Networks (ICWN'03), Las Vegas, NV, 26 June 2003,
- D. Needham, M. Simpson, and B. Whitten, "Putting Interdisciplinary
Software Engineering into Practice, A Java-based Embedded System
Controller", Proceedings of the International Conference on Software
Engineering Research and Practice (SERP'03), Las Vegas, NV, 24 June 2003,
Volume II, pp. 707-713.
- D. Needham, S. Demurjian, M. Price, T. Rando, and T. Daggett,
"Analyzing the Reusability of XML Components", Proceedings of the 6th
International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS 2003),
Colorado Springs, CO, 5 June 2003, pp. 258-262.
- M. McMahon, J. Datko,
and D. Needham. An Authentication
Scheme for a Jini-based Ad Hoc Network. Proceedings of the 15th
International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems
(PDCS 2002), Louisville, KY, USA September 19-21, 2002.
- J. Datko, M. McMahon, D. Needham, Supporting Secure, Ad Hoc Joins
for Tactical Targeting Network Technology. Proceedings of the International
Network Conference 2002
(INC2002), Plymouth, UK, July 16-18, 2002.
- M. Price, D. Needham, and S. Demurjian, Producing
Reusable Components: A Domain-and-Organization-Specific Perspective.
Proceedings of the 2001 ACM/SIGSOFT Symposium on Software Reusability
(SSR'01), Toronto, Canada, May 18-20, 2001, pp. 41-50.
- D. Needham, R. Wilson, K. Shaw, An Analysis of a CORBA-Based
Approach to Accessing Geospatial Information via the Internet.
20th IEEE International Performance, Computing, and Communications
Conference (IPCCC 2001), Phoenix, AZ, April 4-6, 2001, pp. 236-243.
- D. Needham, S. Demurjian, T. Peters, An IDL
to Ada95 Mapping to
Support Propagation Modeling, "Ada Letters", Vol XX, Number 1, March/April
2000. pp. 58-66.
- D. Needham, S. Demurjian, T. Peters Towards a
Distributed Object-Oriented Propagation Model Using Ada95, Proceedings of
SIGAda99, Redondo Beach, CA. Oct 17-21, 1999, pp. 203-210.
- D. Needham, S. Demurjian, T. Peters, An IDL to Ada95
Mapping to Support Propagation Modeling, Proc. of the 13th Annual ASEET
Symposium, Colorado Springs, CO, July 26-29, 1999. pp. P-II-1 -
- Concurrency in Object-Oriented Propagation Modeling Using Ada95, Proc.
of the 12th Annual ASEET Symposium, Monterey, CA., July 27-30, 1998, pp.
- An Ada95 Basis For Propagation Modeling, Proceedings of TRI-Ada'97, St. Louis, Missouri, Nov. 11-14, 1997, pp. 263-272.
- A Reusability Measurement Framework and Tool for Ada95, Proceedings of TRI-Ada'97, St. Louis, Missouri, Nov. 11-14, 1997, pp. 125-132.
- ADAM: A Language-Independent, Object-Oriented, Design Environment for Modeling Inheritance and Relationship Variants in Ada95, C++, and Eiffel" Proceedings of TRI-Ada'96, Philadelphia, PA Dec. 1996.
- "Propagating Topological Tolerances for Rapid Prototyping", Symposium on Recent Developments in Tolerance and Metrology for Control and Improvement of Manufacturing Processes, Atlanta, Georgia, Nov. 1996.
- "Object Modeling to Localize Knowledge for Feature Interrelationships", IFIP Knowledge Intensive CAD-2 Workshop, Pittsburg, PA., Sept. 1996.
- "Modeling Topological Interdependencies in Ada95", Proc. of the Tenth Annual ASEET Symposium, Prescott, Arizona, June 25-28, 1996.
- "Unifying Propagation Modeling and User-Role Based Security", Department of Computer Science and Engineering Technical Report, CSE-TR-96-13, June 1996.
- "Relations Between Features--An Object-Oriented Industrial Prototype", Proc. of the 1996 ASME International Computers in Engineering Conference, Irvine, California, August 1996.
- "Object-Oriented Design Abstractions and Code Generation Front Ends to CAD Systems", Fifth IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on Geometric Modeling in Computer-Aided Design}, Airlie, Virginia, May 1996.
- "Propagation Within An Object-Oriented Design Model" Department of Computer Science and Engineering Technical Report, CSE-TR-95-03, June 1995.
- "Integrating Ada95 Within A Language Independent Approach to Undergraduate Software Engineering Education", Proc. of the Ninth Annual ASEET Symposium}, Morgantown, West Virginia, June, 1995.
- "A Software Engineering Approach to Ada Instruction" Proc. of the Seventh Annual ASEET Symposium, Monterey, CA, Jan 1993.
needham [at] usna.edu
Back to USNA Computer Science
Department home page