Dr. Daniel Opila
Note: Many pre-print versions of the papers are included for convenience; please use the DOI link to the actual published paper if you plan to use it.
- J. Kollmeyer, M. Wootton, J. Reimers, D. F. Opila, H. Kurera, M. Kadakia, R. Gu, T. Stiene, E. Chemali, M. Wood, A. Emadi “Real-Time Control of a Full Scale Li-ion Battery and Li-ion Capacitor Hybrid Energy Storage System for a Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, April 2019, early access. DOI: 10.1109/TIA.2019.2911057
- D.F. Opila, K. Kintzley, S. Shabshab, S. Phillips, “Virtual Oscillator Control of Equivalent Voltage-Sourced and Current-Controlled Power Converters,” Energies: Sustainable Energy- Special Issue on Power Electronics in Renewable Energy Systems, vol. 12, no. 2: 298, 2019. DOI: 10.3390/en12020298 (open access)
- C. Zhang, H. Min, Y. Yu, D. Wang, J. Luke, D.F. Opila and S. Saxena, "Using CPE Function to Size Capacitor Storage for Electric Vehicles and Quantifying Battery Degradation during Different Driving Cycles," Energies 2016, 9(11), 903; DOI:10.3390/en9110903 (open access)
- L.A. Solomon, A. Permuy, N.D. Benavides, D.F. Opila, C.J. Lee, G.F.~Reed, “A Transformerless PCB Based Medium-Voltage Multilevel Power Converter with a DC Capacitor Balancing Circuit,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Preprint, Vol. PP (99), 2015. DOI:10.1109/TPEL.2015.2453392
- H. Park, J. Sun, S. Pekarek, P. Stone, D.F. Opila, R. Meyer, I. Kolmanovsky, R. DeCarlo, “Real-Time Model Predictive Control for Shipboard Power Management Using the IPA-SQP Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Preprint, Vol. PP (99), 2015. DOI:10.1109/TCST.2015.2402233
- D.F. Opila, X. Wang, R. McGee, R. Gillespie, J. Cook, and J. Grizzle, "Real-World Robustness for Hybrid Vehicle Optimal Energy Management Strategies Incorporating Drivability Metrics,"ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, volt.136, no. 6, November 2014. DOI:10.1115/1.4028049
- D.F. Opila, X. Wang, R. McGee, and J. Grizzle, "Real-Time Implementation and Hardware Testing of a Hybrid Vehicle Energy Management Controller Based on Stochastic Dynamic Programming."ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, vol. 135, no. 2, March 2013. DOI:10.1115/1.4007238
- D.F. Opila, X. Wang, R. McGee, R. Gillespie, J. Cook, and J. Grizzle, "An Energy Management Controller to Optimally Tradeoff Fuel Economy and Drivability for Hybrid Vehicles."IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 20, no. 6, November 2012. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2011.2168820 (open access / free!)
- D. Opila, A. Annaswamy, W. Krol, S. Raghu, "Biomimetic Reduction of Wake Deficit Using Tail Articulation at Low Reynolds Number," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 29, no. 3, July 2004. DOI: 10.1109/JOE.2004.833121
- Prince Kumar, Abhijit Kshirsagar, Daniel Opila, Ned Mohan, "A Novel PWM Technique for MMCs with High Frequency Link and Natural Capacitor Balancing for Grid-Interfacing of Renewables," IEEE Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems Conference, December, 2018 Chennai, India.
- D.F. Opila, J. D. Stevens, A.M. Cramer, “The role of future information in control system design for shipboard power systems," International Navel Engineering Conference and International Ship Control Systems Symposium (INEC/iSCSS), September 2018, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- D. Ramirez, L. A. Solomon and D. F. Opila, "Improved dynamic voltage sharing in multilevel converters through diode characterization," 2018 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), San Antonio, TX, 2018, pp. 1734-1741. doi: 10.1109/APEC.2018.8341252
- V. N. Vipin, A. Kshirsagar, D.F. Opila and N. Mohan, "Utility scale interface for renewables and storage using a power electronic transformer with back-to-back MMCs: A novel control scheme," 2017 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), Morgantown, WV, 2017, pp. 1-6. doi: 10.1109/NAPS.2017.8107334
- Daniel F. Opila, Eun Oh, Keith Kintzley, Jedediah Lomax, "A reconfigurable three- and single-phase AC/DC non-isolated bi-directional converter for multiple worldwide voltages" 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, OH, October 2017. DOI 10.1109/ECCE.2017.8095999
- Santhosh Krishnamoorthi, Saurabh Tewari, Siddharth Raju, Abhijit Kshirsagar, Daniel Opila, Ned Mohan, "A ride-through method using input-filter capacitors for three-level indirect matrix converter based open-end winding drive" 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Cincinnati, OH, October 2017. DOI 10.1109/ECCE.2017.8096618
- E. Oh, D. F. Opila, J. Stevens, E. Zivi and A. Cramer, "Early stage design evaluation of shipboard power systems using multi-period power flow," 2017 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium (ESTS), Arlington, VA, 2017, pp. 225-231. doi: 10.1109/ESTS.2017.8069285
- J. D. Stevens, D. F. Opila, E. S. Oh and E. L. Zivi, "All-electric warship load demand model for power and energy system analysis using exogenously initiated threats," 2017 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium (ESTS), Arlington, VA, 2017, pp. 486-492. doi: 10.1109/ESTS.2017.8069326
- D.F. Opila, "Equivalent Degradation Minimization Strategy for Balancing Battery and Capacitor Usage in Hybrid Energy Storage Systems for Electric Vehicles" American Control Conference, Seattle, WA, May 2017.
- S.C. Shabshab, D.F. Opila, "Extending control stability results from voltage-source to current-controlled AC or DC power converters" IFAC Workshop on Control of Transmission and Distribution Smart Grids CTDSG 2016, Prague, Czech Republic, 11-13 October 2016. DOI:10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.10.720. (open access)
- D.F. Opila, "Uncertain Route, Destination, and Traffic Predictions in Energy Management for Hybrid, Plug-in, and Fuel-Cell Vehicles" American Control Conference, Boston, MA, July 2016.
- K. Lentijo, D.F. Opila, “Minimizing Inverter Self-synchronization due to Reactive Power Injection on Weak Grids” 2015 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, Montreal, Canada, September 2015.
- J.D. Stevens,D.F. Opila, A.M. Cramer, E.L. Zivi, “Operational Vignette-based Electric Warship Load Demand” 2015 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium, Alexandria, VA, June 2015.
- P. Stone,D.F. Opila, H. Park, J. Sun, S. Pekarek, R. DeCarlo, E. Westervelt, J. Brooks, G. Seenumani, “Shipboard Power Management Using Constrained Nonlinear Model Predictive Control,” 2015 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium, Alexandria, VA, June 2015.
- D. Opila and L. Solomon, "Optimal control of dynamic pulse power loads in naval power systems using the Pontryagin minimum principle and Dynamic Programming," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 2012. DOI: 10.1109/PESGM.2012.6345516
- D. Opila, M. Zeynu, and I. Hiskens, "Wind farm reactive support and voltage control," International Institute for Research and Education in Power Systems (IREP) VIII Bulk Power System Dynamics and Control, Buzios, Brazil, August 2010. DOI: 10.1109/IREP.2010.5563248
- Daniel F. Opila, Xiaoyong Wang, Ryan McGee, Jeffrey A. Cook, and J.W. Grizzle, "Fundamental Structural Limitations of an Industrial Energy Management Controller Architecture for Hybrid Vehicles," ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference,, Hollywood, USA, October 12-14, 2009. Student Best Paper finalist. DOI: 10.1115/DSCC2009-2538
- Daniel F. Opila, Xiaoyong Wang, Ryan McGee, Jeffrey A. Cook, and J.W. Grizzle, "Performance Comparison of Hybrid Vehicle Energy Management Controllers on Real-World Drive Cycle Data," American Control Conference, St. Louis, USA, June 2009. DOI: 10.1109/ACC.2009.5160503
- Daniel F. Opila, Deepak Aswani, Ryan McGee, Jeffrey A. Cook, and J.W. Grizzle, "Incorporating Drivability Metrics into Optimal Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles," IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Cancun, Mexico, December 2008. DOI: 10.1109/CDC.2008.4738731
- D. Opila, P. Madden and B. Schmid, "Biomimetic Active Control of Propulsor Noise Using Conducting Polymers," 13th International Symposium on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology, Durham, NH, August 2003.
- D. Opila, X. Wang, R. McGee, J. Cook, and J. Grizzle, “Implementation and hardware testing of an energy management controller based on stochastic dynamic programming,” Poster at University of Michigan Engineering Graduate Symposium, Ann Arbor, MI, November 2009. Best Poster Award.
- D. Opila, X. Wang, R. McGee, J. Cook, and J. Grizzle, “Incorporating drivability metrics into optimal energy management strategies for hybrid vehicles,” Poster at Symposium on Control and Modeling of Alternative Energy Systems, Champaign, IL, April 2009.
- D. Opila, D. Aswani, R. McGee, J. Cook, and J. Grizzle, “Incorporating drivability metrics into optimal energy management strategies for hybrid vehicles,” Poster and Presentation at University of Michigan Engineering Graduate Symposium, Ann Arbor, MI, November 2008. Best Poster and Best Presentation Awards.