- Associate Professor, Mathematics Department, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
- Research Associate, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Ph.D. Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2005
- Stanford University - M.S. Engineering-Economic Systems and Operations Research, 1998
- Stanford University - B.S. Mathematical and Computational Sciences, 1998
Healthcare operations research, linear and integer programming, simulation, graph theory and maximum edge weight matching for kidney paired donation, transplantation and organ allocation, and biomechanics.
- Mathematical Association of America Henry L. Alder Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Beginning Faculty Member, 2009
- Finalist for Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice, 2014
- Top Ten Abstracts award, American Society of Transplant Surgeons Winter Symposium, January 2013
- Top Ten Abstracts award, American Society of Transplant Surgeons Winter Symposium, January 2009
- Computational Science Graduate Fellows essay contest, awarded for excellence in technical writing that effectively communicates computational science to a lay audience, 2008
- Faculty Special Act recognition award, U.S. Naval Academy, September 2006
- UNOS Transplant Management Forum Abstract Award, Transplant center initiatives to increase donation, April 2005
- U.S. Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship, 2001-2005
- Best Student Paper, IEEE Systems, Man, Cybernetics Conference, 2003
New England Journal of Medicine, "Very complicated math - Reconfiguring organ allocation". December 2014.
Public Radio Interview with Sheila Kast
The Right Match: A Short Documentary
Wagner Prize Presentation
Baltimore Sun Magazine, "Unassuming brilliance: genius pair rewrite rules of organ transplants", November 2012.
New York Times, March 31, 2012.
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematicians News, December 2008.
American Mathematical Society Mathematical Moments poster and podcast
Science News. "Kidney Matchmaking", Math Trek, August 28, 2007.
Reader's Digest, "The Perfect Match", The Big Idea, March 2006.
Time Magazine, "The Kidney Connection", Innovators, September 12, 2005.
Science, Vol. 303, March 12, 2004, p. 1609.
The Diane Rehm Show, National Public Radio, March 18, 2005.
Baltimore Sun, "By the Numb3rs", Health and Science, January 27, 2006.
MIT Technology Review, "Make Me a Match", March 2006.
CBS WJZ Baltimore News, TV interview, January 27, 2006.
Boston Globe, Health and Science C1, March 16, 2004.
ScienCentral News, TV news segment, March 23, 2004.
MIT News Office press release
MIT Tech Talk
MIT Technology Review, "Dance Machine", June 2004, p. 5.
Boston Globe 3/16/04
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematicians News, December 2004.