SM212, Differential Equations
On this page, you will find information for SM212, Differential Equations.
Congratulations! You are now embarking on the journey that is Differential Equations! Possibly the most exciting course you will take at the Naval Academy. The course will comprise of Homeworks, Quizzes, Tests, Final exam, and a semester-long project.
Below you will find assignments and course material.
Textbook: Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems, 8th ed., by Dennis G. Zill and Warren S. Wright.
Syllabus: Posted here.
Course Policies: Posted here.
- Textbook (Sec x.y #z)
- HW1 Due 01/17/2018: 1.1 #29, 1.2 #11, 2.2 #6, 2.3 #3
- HW2 Due 01/22/2018: 2.1.1 #1, 2.6 #2 + Section 3.1 Worksheet
- HW3 Due 01/29/2018: 4.1.2 #15, 21, 4.3 #5,15.
- HW4 Due 02/05/2018: 4.3 #29 + Spring mass Worksheet
- HW5 Due 02/12/2018: 4.1.3 #36, 4.4 #4
- HW6 Due 02/21/2018: 4.4 #31, 5.1.3 #31,39, 5.1.4 #49
- HW7 Due 02/26/2018: 7.1 #7,11, 7.2.1 #5,15,23.
- HW8 Due 03/05/2018: 7.2.2 #33, 7.3.1 #9,15, 7.3.2 #50,52
- Project Assignment 1
- Project Assignment 2
- Project Assignment 3
- Project Assignment 4
- Project Assignment 5
- Study Skills: The value you get out of this course is proportional to the effort you put into it. Keep in mind that the primary goal (and your responsibility) is not just doing the problems, but rather understanding the material. Exercises that ask for verbal explanations should be answered in complete sentences. Suggestions on how to study mathematics may be found on pp. 8-10 of the Academic Center's Academic Success Handbook.
- Addition sources of extra instruction:
- The Midshipman Group Study Program (MGSP) will be available evenings from Sunday through Thursday. Upper-class midshipmen will help you work on mathematics problems in groups. More information will be available early in the semester.
- The evening tutor program may be accessed using Starfish. See here for details.
- The Academic Center offers non-credit voluntary Supplemental Instruction Classes.
- Supplementary material: The mathematics department website has practice tests, old exams, and other useful material.
Modifications of the syllabus: Your instructor may modify the schedule and list of problems.