DB Edit String Fields
Edit button on Table view,
which provides popup. Only enabled if you check the "EDIT" box on the
right of the row of buttons, since all changes are permanent (save a copy of the
database if you are concerned about editing mistakes).
- Trim blanks: removes leading or trailing
blanks, which can make filtering the database difficult. This should not be
required, but moving files between programs can leave unwanted blanks.
- one field
- all string fields
- Add leading zeros:
- Remove leading zeros: pick a field, and a desired length, and
leading zeros will be appended. This can repair a field like a Zip
code that has been treated as an integer, and thus cannot be used for
- Remove non-numeric entries
- Fix Excel dates: if you have fields like "2-3", Excel will turn
them into "3-FEB". This will turn them back into the
numerical form. This is really for things like heights ("5-9").
- Add integer code: adds a field, and computes an integer code for each
unique string in a string field. The codes will run from 1 to the
number of unique values, and will be in alphabetical order.
- Translate from table
- Add record ID field: will add a string field, which will have an
optional ID string, followed by a number from 1 to the number of records.
- Extract file name: remove the path, and leave just the
file name. This allows you to move the database and files to another
Last revision 9/21/2016