File, Open Menu
Use this menu option (popup from File menu), or the icons on the main toolbar, to open a data set.
You must understand the types of data and select the correct one.
The program forces you to select the type of data because:
- Some data formats, like Geotiffs, could be either DEMs or imagery, and
nothing in the file or its metadata makes this apparent. The program
needs to know the type of data, because it supports different menu choices
depending of the data's characteristics.
- The program originally had completely different display operations for
DEMs and imagery. While this has mostly been replaced with a common
map window, the data structures for a DEM and an image remain quite
- In the early days of GIS and remote sensing, completely different
programs were used for the two operations, and that philosophy still has
some remnants in the MICRODEM source code.
- Open project--will close all
open data and windows
- Add project--keeps any already open maps.
- Open and merge DEMs--pick multiple
DEMs in a single directory, and merge them on the fly. To merge
from multiple directories, use
- Open and merge DEM directories: pick the directories you want.
Cancel when you have them all the directories you want.
Open image with multiple bands. It is not error-trapped; you
- All bands must be integer values
- They must have the same number of rows and columns, data
spacing, and conver the same area
- They will be in alphabetical order
scanned map: while this generally behaves like an image, it does not
allow contrast enhancement and similar operations which can have
have bad effects.
Open Landcover: while this generally behaves
like an image, it does not allow contrast enhancement and similar
operations which can have have bad effects
Open Vector Map
Open shape file map--open blank map and display shape file
filling the display area.
- Open US States maps
- Open US counties map
- Open LAS point clouds
- Open other point clouds
Open hyperpectral imagery
Open Landsat multigrids
- Open redistricting map--move to Introductory tutorials)
- Open GeoPDF (US topo; may not work with
- Layers you selected, merge
- Just imagery layers
- All layers in separate GeoTiffs
- Open google maps
Open database without map
- Annapolis harbor: bathymetry grid and 3 nautical charts
Last revision 11/21/2018