Import Monthly Time Series
menu of Data
- Select ASCII file with monthly data. Rows have each year, and
the months will be in columns. See caveats below.
- Provide a field name, meeting the dBase requirements, for the values in
- The program will convert the file to a CSV file with the fields Year,
Month, and the value.
- The program will convert the CSV file to a DBF file, in the same
directory as original file, and open the database file.
- You cannot manipulate the database file until you close the Data
- Looks for first line with "YEAR" and ignores any preceding lines.
- On succeeding lines, must start with a valid year, and then have 12
valid numbers for each month.
- Missing data will cause problems.
- A "T" for the data (such as precipitation) will cause problems, and will cause the
values to be entered as a string instead of numbers, so that you
cannot do any statistics. You can edit the data in Excel, and replace
the "T" with a "0" or a "0.0001".
- Values can be separated in the files with a tab, comma, or space.
Sample data sets that work:
Once the series has been imported, you can do time
Last revised 12/24/2009