Landsat Data Download and Usage in MICRODEM
Set up a free account with USGS. Download at no charge from three
locations, which all act a little differently and may show different coverage.
site and directions
probably the best choice to get just a single scene and pick the best image
since it shows a thumbnail. Get Landsat Collection 1 Level-1
- Sentinel-2 Hub and Playground: ESA has
a better online viewing capability for Landsat and Sentinel-2, but not a download
option. You can find data there, and extract "dumb pictures" (i.e. no
registration), and then download from EarthExplorer
- Additional USGS Options, which have not been recently verified
- Must zoom in the see the data; scale shows in lower left corner
of the screen.
- View scenes, with some contrast enhancement, with option to download
- View cart with option in the upper left of the data table
- May be a limit on how many files you can get at a time
Finding scenes by path/row
Manage Landsat data
formats and file naming conventions
MICRODEM will create the following subfolders in the directory with a Landsat
scene if you attempt any computation analysis:
- band_hist: databases with the frequency histograms, one per band.
- princ_componenets: the principal
components image in MICRODEM DEM format, one file for each component
- unsup_class: unsupervised classification,
in MICRODEM DEM format, a VAT file, and metadata.
Key Remote Sensing Options in MICRODEM
Landsat online viewers
Last revision 2/22/2022