There is near complete daily coverage,
with some gaps near the equator. If there is a gap in your region, pick
the day before or after.
- Connect to
- Zoom in on the map
- Outline your area using the button to the right on the NE corner of the
- Geographic projection
- Select imagery (if you want to look at false colors, click the "i"
button for an explanation)
- Terra (1030 local time overpass) or Aqua (1330 local time) MODIS
true color (corrected reflectance). This archive goes back over 20
- Suomi NPP VIIRS (1330 local time), has a night lights (0130
local time) option, which can be very informative. This archive
goes back to 2015
- NOPAA 20 VIIRS (1420 local time) goes back to 2020
- You can overlay boundaries, roads, coasts, and detected fires if desired
- Format (you must change this if want to download for use in GIS)
- Geotiff is the best option (requires
- PNG plus world
file: you will have to unzip the download file to get the files you
- Pick resolution. (2 km, 1 km, 500 m, and 250 m) The
web site will tell you the size of the download. You would like to see the
full 250 m resolution and some context of the surrounding region, so aim for 1000x1000 to 2000x2000 pixels. If
necessary adjust the coverage area to make it smaller. If you want to
see the big picture, use one of the larger resolutions.
- Turn off Autoscale
- Cycle forward/backward by date to get a cloud
free image, and one without gaps. If you have a really cloudy area, it
can be very difficult to get cloud free coverage.
- For use in GIS, Download image, and Unzip
Use in GIS:
||MODIS Terra imagery at 500 m resolution (displayed with 1200 m
Roads and boundaries overlaid, in MICRODEM, where
you add any information the same way you do with any other map.
Last revision 1/15/2021