New in MICRODEM Version 12
Version 12.0 first appeared in June 2009, and was
intended to be compiled under Delphi 2009. Problems with
UNICODE strings meant that the first versions had a number of
options disabled while we worked to recompile some options them
with UNICODE as the default string type. The difficulty in
backward compatibility between Delphi 2009 and Delphi 2006 means
that the conversion did not go very fast. In late May 2010 we finally got the
Unicode version running, and henceforth it became the only version maintained.
In June 2011 we began the move to Delphi XE. The
distributed version 16 moved to Delphi XE2 in November 2011.
(6/1/2010) Updated current limitation due to the upgrade:
Version number has now been de-emphasized on the
splash screen, in favor of the build number, which is easier to
track because it changes daily instead of annually (at best).
(11/15/2010) Most recent
improvements listed with date implemented
The following recent changes need to
documented (or better documented)
(8/3/2009) Clip histogram tails
(8/3/2009) Multiple histograms for
(8/3/2009) Change font on graph window
Map appearance and options:
Line of sight/
- (6/3/2009) Merge
for ADF format grids
- (1/13/2010) Save of Geotiff DEMs will save floating point
values, instead of rounding them
- (3/25/2010) File, Open from the main menu. has an
option to open and merge DEMs on the fly. This
moved by the Data manipulation form, Merge menu
- (3/30/2010) Directions for arbitrary
- (5/23/2010) New version 3 DEM header.
If you export to other software that expects to read MICRODEM DEMs, you
should should a older version of the program, and get that software to be
modified (should be a very simple fix). You should also use Geotiff as a
better format for transfer.
- (5/23/2010) VAT display
- (6/17/2010) Can read the VAT.DBF file from a Geotiff exported by ArcGIS
- (6/22/2010) Read IMG files with GDAL, and a batch conversion of them to
- (12/12/2010) There had been two ways to merge DEMs, one of which had a
limit of 101 DEMs. They have now been combined, and the limit is 501.
- (2/3/2011) Viewsheds will display the masked,
and masked+visible in addition to visible. If you want to overlay
fans, you should only use the visible option.
- (2/3/2011) Fix bug where Create derivative grid
could create a datum offset problem (probably limited to UTM grids with
NAD27 where NAD83/WGS84 was the primary datum in use).
- (6/16/2010) Slight change to the DEM header, to allow over 64,000
columns in a data set. Old files will continue to be read correctly.
- (6/16/2010) Max DEM columns now set to 92,000
- (6/17/2011) Import of ESRI ADF files now uses the directory name (data
set name) in the name of the grid
Data base operations:
- (6/24/2009)Speed up Mask database with shapefile
- (6/24/2009) Find points in areas
- (7/29/2009) Add records to shapefile by digitizing Annotate Map or GPS
- (7/30/2009) All DBs option for histograms on the STATs button popup
- (9/14/2009: Option to sort a numeric field in a database
(on clicking the field name)
- (9/15/2009): Option to put a separator when concatenating
string fields (edit button on the database display table)
- (10/7/2009) Greater control over text placement with GIS DB
- (12/20/2009) Cut and paste line
and area records from one shapefile to another
- (2/21/2010) Add new record to
point database, at a specified distance and azimuth from
- (3/12/2010): option to turn any points database into a
viewshed sensors file. Edit
button on the database
- (3/25/2010) Rename fields by right clicking on the title
bar for the field.
- (3/25/2010) Check when opening a CSV, if the DBF already
exists, so you do not accidentally overwrite any changes.
- (4/8/2010): Changes to the Gazetteer
- (6/7/2010) Database tables show colors, line symbols, and icons in the
- (6/9/2010) Quick edit option by right clicking on the column header in
the database display grid.
- (6/11/2010) Forward/backward button in the database table record
- (6/11/2010) Improve and better document
database option for photos with GPS locations embedded with EXIF tags.
- (6/28/2010) Computer perimeter of area records in database.
Field arithmetic menu, Edit
button on the database
- (7/7/2010) Search and replace in DB table Double clicking on a field name
(string fields only)
- (8/22/2010) Add integer code field for a
string field, and populate it.
- (10/18/2010) Find neighbors has option for
point databases in addition to areas
- (12/2/2010): Improved finding of area record that contains a point, and
if a point is in a record.
- (12/4/2010) Quick plot and Quick filter options on database table, by
clicking on the column field name
- (12/5/2010) Improved legends for ratio and color code by single numeric
- (12/9/2010) Frequency table
results can be sorted by either count or field value
- (12/9/2010) Option to sort table by
clicking on the column field name
- (1/5/2011) Quick filtering toolbar
- (1/6/2011) Record display window had
a number of buttons removed; you can now do those options with
the "OPTION" button, which brings up the same popup as Double clicking on a record in the
- (2/3/2011) Display of Image, Climograph, Earthquake focal
mechanism are now all done with the Record display
window instead of with individual menu choices on the popup after Double
clicking on a record
- (2/24/2011) PolylineM and PolygonM shapefile types allowed (they are
treated just like 3D shapefiles)
- (4/7/2011) Option to set a scaling factor for icons (Symbol and color selection)
- (4/12/2011) Checkboxes on the Database display
window to show/hide databases, without changing the selected symbology.
- (4/18/2011) Point in area on the Edit
button, and Calculate centroid on clicking on a record in the Database display
- (7/9/2010) Use gazetteers from Canadian Geobase.
They must be placed in the gazetteer directory, and you must manually add
the lat/long the table on Map coordinates submenu of Edit
menu of database
- (6/1/2010) Strongly discouraged not to set the primary datum to anything
other than WGS84/NAD27. This may become mandatory.
- (12/6/2010) Changed datum and ellipsoid files
to DBF database instead of text file.
- (8/12/2010) Landcover (NLCD 1992 and 2001) in uncompressed Geotiff can
now be loaded as a DEM/grid. It will be entirely in memory, and
operations will run much faster.
- (11/19/2009) Debug log from
the last run of the program available from the help menu.
- Debug log moved to c:\mapdata\temp
- (9/19/2010) Image display "compute color
palette" creates a table which shows color snippets.
- (6/19/2011) Save project and
restore projects are moving from the Window menu to the File menu.
- (6/21/2011) Fixed problems starting problem without an internet
connection (relating to updates)
Last revision 5/12/2011