PLSS is off by default. PLSS only works in the western US, and
is a specialized and antiquated system. If you want to use it, you must enable it on the Menu tab
of the Menu tab.
- Option to show or hide 1/4 sections, sections,
- Set colors and widths for the boundaries
- Label sections or townships; they will use the
same colors as their boundaries.
- If smart scaling is selected, the edit boxes contain the map pixel size in
meters at which the features will be drawn. If
the pixel size is larger than the specified
value, the features will not be drawn.
- Townships are about 9.6 km in size. With
the default size, townships would be
about 40 pixels across or they would not
- Sections are about 1.6 km in size. With
the default size, sections would be about
32 pixels across.
- Quarter-quarter sections are about 0.4 km
in size. With the default size,
quarter-quarter sections would be about
40 pixels across.
- Use 1/4 sections in labels
- Use lots in labsel
- Autoload PLSS with all maps.
- PLSS to RAM: this will slow initial loading, but greatly speed
up all later operations.
- PLSS file buttons: select up to 5 directories containing
files to use for US data.
The 1/4 sections slow down operations greatly. If you
know you do not need them you should uncheck the two
boxes that refer to them. They may also not be reliable.
Last revision 8/27/2020